19 July,2026 08:13 AM IST | Chhatarpur | Agencies
Protestors at site undertaking “jal satyagraha”. Pic/PTI
An indefinite hunger strike against the Ken-Betwa Link Project in Bundelkhand entered its 15th day on Saturday, with protesters alleging inadequate rehabilitation and displacement-related grievances.
Protesters have also undertaken "jal satyagraha", "chita (funeral pyre) satyagraha" and, since the eighth day, a "faansi satyagraha".
The agitation is being led by Amit Bhatnagar, who has been on an indefinite fast for 11 days. Protesters alleged that he had undergone only one formal medical examination during that period.
The Ken-Betwa Link Project aims to transfer water from the Ken river to the Betwa river to provide irrigation and drinking water in drought-prone areas of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. The project has faced opposition over displacement, rehabilitation, and its impact on forests and wildlife.
The administration said the state government had sanctioned an additional Rs 202.50 crore for rehabilitation and resettlement, while assistance had been increased from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 12.50 lakh per affected family. It also said drinking water, food and healthcare had been arranged at the protest site.
Bhatnagar alleged that affected families had lost land, forests, water resources, livelihoods. Officials said grievances would be addressed by the district administrations and appealed to protesters to return home during the monsoon.
11
Days since Bhatnagar's fast
This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever