Over 10,000 Kedarnath pilgrims rescued after massive landslide in Uttarakhand's Rudraprayag

21 May,2026 10:33 AM IST |  Dehradun  |  mid-day online correspondent

The landslide occurred late Tuesday night at Munkatiya, cutting off access to the Kedarnath pilgrimage route and leaving thousands of devotees stranded in difficult weather conditions

Pic/PTI


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

More than 10,000 pilgrims travelling on the Kedarnath route in Uttarakhand's Rudraprayag were safely evacuated after a massive landslide triggered by heavy rainfall blocked the highway between Sonprayag and Gaurikund, officials said on Thursday, reported PTI.

The landslide occurred late Tuesday night at Munkatiya, cutting off access to the Kedarnath pilgrimage route and leaving thousands of devotees stranded in difficult weather conditions.

Authorities said continuous rainfall, falling rocks, darkness and the challenging mountainous terrain made rescue operations extremely difficult. However, joint teams from the State Disaster Response Force and the National Disaster Response Force managed to evacuate all stranded pilgrims safely, reported PTI.

Heavy rain triggers landslide on Kedarnath route

According to officials, the landslide took place between Sonprayag and Gaurikund after intense rainfall in the region caused debris and rocks to slide onto the road. The blockage disrupted traffic movement on one of the busiest pilgrimage routes in Uttarakhand during the ongoing Char Dham Yatra season, reported PTI.

The District Control Room in Rudraprayag alerted rescue agencies at around 9.16 pm on Tuesday following reports of the landslide and stranded travellers.

An SDRF rescue team stationed at Sonprayag immediately rushed to the affected area with emergency equipment to begin evacuation efforts.

Rescue teams evacuate stranded pilgrims

Officials said the SDRF and NDRF launched a coordinated rescue operation soon after reaching the site. Rescue personnel guided stranded pilgrims through the affected stretch amid continuous rainfall and low visibility, reported PTI.

Authorities confirmed that around 10,450 pilgrims were evacuated from the route and shifted to designated safe locations.

Rescue workers reportedly encouraged and assisted elderly pilgrims, women and children while moving them across dangerous sections of the damaged road.

The operation continued despite difficult weather conditions and the constant risk of fresh rockfalls in the area.

Highway restored after debris clearance

After safely evacuating the pilgrims, authorities deployed heavy machinery, including JCB excavators, to clear the debris from the highway.

Officials said workers removed rocks and mud from the affected stretch, allowing stranded vehicles to move out of the area once the route was declared safe, reported PTI.

Vehicular movement on the highway was restored shortly after the rescue and clearance operations were completed.

Authorities remain on high alert

SDRF Commandant Arpan Yaduvanshi said teams deployed along the Kedarnath pilgrimage route had been kept on high alert due to changing weather conditions in the Himalayan region, reported PTI.

He noted that advance deployment of rescue personnel at critical points helped authorities respond quickly and coordinate evacuation efforts effectively after the landslide occurred.

(With inputs from PTI)

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
uttarakhand kedarnath Landslide india India news national news dehradun
Related Stories