Social media feud turns deadly in Beed; 23-year-old killed, two grievously injured

17 February,2026 06:13 PM IST |  Beed  |  mid-day online correspondent

The incident took place on Monday night at Ruinalkol village in Ashti tehsil. Two suspects, including a minor, have been detained in connection with the case, officials said

The two accused have been taken into custody. Representational Pic


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

A 23-year-old man was killed and two others were seriously injured in a knife attack allegedly triggered by a dispute over social media posts in Maharashtra's Beed district, police said on Tuesday.

The incident took place on Monday night at Ruinalkol village in Ashti tehsil. Two suspects, including a minor, have been detained in connection with the case, officials said, reported PTI.

Deepak Nalkol died in the attack, while Balu Khodke and Shashikant Lambade are battling for their lives at a private hospital in Ahilyanagar district, according to officials.

"When a palanquin procession of Lord Mahadev was underway on Monday night on the occasion of Mahashivratri, accused Nilesh Gujar (25) and a minor confronted the victims in front of a school. The confrontation stemmed from a long-standing grudge over provocative stories and status updates posted by them against each other on Instagram and WhatsApp," an official said, reported PTI.

During the heated argument, Gujar allegedly stabbed Nalkol in the back with a sharp knife. At the same time, the minor attacked Khodke and Lambade. Nalkol succumbed to his injuries while being taken to the hospital, while the other two remain in critical condition, the official added.

Following a complaint lodged by the deceased's brother, Ashti police registered a case of murder and attempt to murder.

The two accused have been taken into custody, Inspector Sharad Bhutekar of Ashti police station said.

Railway cops nab two for robbing passenger at knife point at Andheri

Earlier in February, two suspects were arrested for allegedly robbing a passenger at knifepoint at Andheri railway station in Mumbai. They were apprehended by railway personnel and handed over to the Government Railway Police (GRP) for further action, officials said on Wednesday.

The accused were nabbed by the Crime Prevention and Detection Squad (CPDS), a specialised unit of the Railway Protection Force (RPF).

According to officials, the incident occurred on the night of January 30, 2026, on the railway bridge on the eastern side of Andheri station.

The complainant, Mohammad Siraj Ansari (22), told police that he was standing on the bridge with his friends at around 9.30 pm when three unidentified men approached and stopped them.

The accused allegedly falsely accused him of supplying ganja. One of them threatened him with a knife and warned that he would kill him if he did not cooperate.

The attackers allegedly snatched his Vivo Y31 mobile phone, worth Rs 16,499, and also took his Union Bank ATM card. The victim was forced to disclose his ATM PIN, following which Rs 10,500 was withdrawn from his bank account.

(With PTI inputs)

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
beed Crime News crime branch maharashtra news
Related Stories