PM Modi mourns China mining disaster, Beijing acknowledges support

24 May,2026 12:33 PM IST |  New Delhi  |  mid-day online correspondent

PM Modi expressed sympathy to President Xi Jinping, while the Chinese envoy appreciated India’s support, after a deadly coal mine gas explosion in China’s Shanxi Province that killed 82 people and injured many others

Rescue workers arrive to carry out rescue operations following a gas explosion. Pic/AFP


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed sorrow over the coal mine gas explosion in Shanxi Province, China, which has claimed several lives. In a post on X, he conveyed condolences to Chinese President Xi Jinping and the people of China, stating that India stands with the affected families in this difficult time.

He also prayed for the safe recovery of those still missing.

Chinese envoy thanks India for support

Chinese Ambassador to India Xu Feihong thanked PM Modi for his message of condolence and said that the sympathy and support from India are "deeply valued." He also expressed solidarity with the victims, missing persons and their families, noting that rescue and relief operations are ongoing.

Death toll rises and rescue efforts continue

According to officials, the gas explosion occurred on Friday evening at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan County, Shanxi Province, at around 7:29 pm. The incident has so far claimed 82 lives, while two people remain missing, reported IANS.

Around 128 injured workers are undergoing treatment in hospitals, including two in critical condition and two in serious condition.

Safety concerns and company violations

Authorities have said that toxic gases in the mine shaft have remained above safe levels for a long period, raising the risk of further accidents. Investigations also found serious violations of safety laws by the company operating the mine. Officials have suspended the company's coal mining operations for a safety overhaul, and those responsible have been placed under control, as per the news agency.

High-level directives and investigation

Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for all-out rescue efforts for the missing and proper treatment of the injured. He also ordered a thorough investigation into the cause of the accident and accountability of local authorities, regulators, and the company involved.

Investigation teams will determine responsibility and ensure strict action under the law.

(With IANS Inputs)

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
china Accident india PM Modi world news
Related Stories