7-year term for man who raped friend's daughter for three years

Jan 31, 2015, 10:29 IST | Sailee Dhayalkar

The accused molested and raped his friend’s daughter at the houses of his first and second wives in Delhi and Mumbai, between 2009 and 2011; he threatened to kill her mother and brother when she tried to refuse to have sex with him

After being molested and raped by her father’s friend over the course of three years, a 15-year-old has finally got justice. The Dindoshi Sessions Court yesterday convicted 43-year-old Ajay Daliya, who hails from Delhi, and handed him a seven-year prison term.

According to the statement given by the survivor to the court, the girl used to live with her father, mother and elder brother in Gurgaon. In June 2009, her parents separated and her mother left the house to live with her parents. Her father took the girl, who was 11 years old then, to his friend Ajay’s place in Najafgarh, Delhi, and asked her to stay there.

Ajay was living with his wife, Meena, his children, and a female friend, identified as Preeti, in a three-bedroom apartment. After a month, the girl’s elder brother also started living in Ajay’s house. The first incident took place on Diwali in 2009, when Meena and her kids had gone out to meet the neighbours.

The girl’s brother was out for some work and Preeti was in her room, as her hand was fractured. Ajay, whom the girl used to address as ‘uncle’, called her to his room and molested her. After that, the accused would molest the girl whenever there was nobody in the house. According to the girl’s statement in court, when she confided in Meena and told her about the molestation, she ignored her.

Mumbai house
The situation took a turn for the worse when Ajay sent the girl to Mumbai in March 2010, to stay with his second wife at Samta Nagar in Kandivli. In June 2010, the accused came to Mumbai and, a few days after that, when there was no one in the house, he forced her to have sex with him.

When the girl refused, he threatened her, saying that he knew where her mother and brother lived and would kill them if she refused. “This forcible sexual assault on the part of the accused continued whenever he was in Mumbai,” the survivor told the court. In November 2011, Delhi police arrested Ajay in a fraud case.

After this, the survivor told Ajay’s second wife about the rape. She took the girl to a hospital for a check-up. In August 2012, the survivor’s mother, who wanted to reunite with her children, went to Ajay’s home in Delhi, where she found her son. From there, she learnt that her daughter was living with Ajay’s second wife in Mumbai.

When she reached the city, the survivor told her mother about the molestation and rape, and on October 20, 2012 they registered a complaint against the accused. Public prosecutor Madhuri Mahajan told mid-day, “During the trial, Ajay was brought from Delhi’s Tihar jail to Dindoshi court in Mumbai, as he was arrested by Delhi police first.

After the complaint was registered at Samta Nagar police station, Mumbai police took his custody.” Special Women’s Court Judge S K S Razi sentenced the accused under Sections 376 (rape) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the Indian Penal Code. Ajay was also fined R30,000, out of which R25,000 will go to the survivor.

Go to top