Attack on journalists at Mira Rd bar and Raghvendra Dubey's murder connected: Police

Jul 19, 2015, 08:55 IST | A Correspondent

Crime Branch interrogates PSI and cop who were at the spot when Santosh Mishra and Shashi Sharma were attacked outside a bar

The Crime Branch yesterday arrested Mahesh Shetty, owner of Love Bird bar at Mira Road, and another man for allegedly killing journalist Raghvendra Dubey.

Also read: Special officer to investigate journalist's murder in Mira Rd, says Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis

The night before, Dubey, who was the owner and journalist of Local Weekly newspaper Khushboo Ujala, was found dead, two other journalists — Santosh Mishra (44) and Shashi Sharma (49) — were attacked outside White House bar at Mira Road.

The incident
According to Crime Branch sources, these two cases are connected. Late Thursday night, when the police raided White House bar at Naya Nagar, Mishra and Sharma also reached the spot to cover the news. When they took pictures of the bar owner, Ganesh Kamat, a group of 15 men attacked them. PSI Divakar and another constable who were present at the spot didn’t stop the mob.

After the attack, a case was registered at Mira Road police station under Section IPC 307 (attempt murder) and six were arrested

Dubey’s murder
At 2 am on Friday morning, Dubey went to the police station to check on the previous night’s incident. When he left the police station at 5 am, an unknown person asked him to tea.

At 5.30 am, an injured Dubey found at ST Stone at Mira Bhayendar Road. The cops rushed him to Shatabdhi Hospital in Kandivli, where he was declared dead.

SP Rajesh Pradhan said, “The PSI officer and the constable are being interrogated to determine what happened on the spot. Attacks don’t occu when we usually raid bars. No cop was attacked We have arrested 14 people and detained the two who attacked the journalist outside White House bar.”

Also read: Scribe found murdered 30 minutes after he left police station in Mira Rd

According to Mishra’s statement to the police, after the attack, three men in a purple car kidnapped Mishra and took him to an unknown spot on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad and beat him up. He was later admitted to Vedanta Hospital at Mira Road.

Go to top