Cops get CCTV footage of accused driving to and from crime scene

May 09, 2013, 03:05 IST | Sandip Kolhatkar

Police have also recovered a diary in which Vinod Broker had mentioned prime accused Ibrahim Shaikh's name and phone number on days they had conversations

Ibrahim Shaikh, prime accused in the murder of Vinod Broker and his aide Usha Nair, has told interrogators that before torching the bodies, he and his two associates had swiped their personal effects. They chucked the deceased’s wristwatches and the original number plate of the Innova car used for the crime in the tunnel at Katraj, and later dumped Usha’s purse and the nooses used to strangle the victims somewhere near a dhaba at Shirwal.

Meanwhile, Koregaon Park police officials said they have received CCTV footage from the day of the crime of the car going towards Khandala and coming back to Pune, from the Khed Shivapur toll plaza.

“During investigations, the main accused told us that after strangulating the victims, they first removed their wristwatches and gold ornaments from Usha’s body, put the corpses in gunny bags, and later burned them at Kesurdi Ghat near Khandala on April 30,” said API VK Jachak.

“After getting rid of the ropes and purse, they tossed away the watches of Vinod and Usha and the original number plate of the Innova car in Katraj Tunnel. The video we have received clearly shows the Innova car with a duplicate licence plate on both occasions,” Jachak added.

Senior inspector of Social Security Cell Bhanupratap Barge, who is also investigating the case, said cops have recovered a diary from Vinod’s relatives in which he had written Ibrahim and his phone number against the date April 4.

“After April 4, Ibrahim’s name and number are referred to every three or four days. It seems that every time Ibrahim or Vinod would call the other, the deceased used to mention the accused’s name and phone number with the particular date,” said Barge.

He added that police are also investigating other people, whose names and numbers were found in the diary. “On April 30, Vinod had written Ibrahim’s name and number again in the diary,” he added.

Another officer with Koregaon Park police station said that several people had approached Vinod for the property, and some were prepared to pay Rs 40 crore. But, as they wanted to shell out half the share in black money, Vinod wasn’t too keen.  

Go to top