Fire behind showroom opposite Phoenix Mills
No casualties as building had been abandoned and empty for long; fire doused within 10 mins
The fire broke out in an abandoned terrace at Lower Parel in the early hours of Friday. Pic/Satej Shinde
In the early hours of Friday, a fire broke out in an unoccupied industrial estate building opposite Phoenix Mills, behind the Manyawar showroom in Lower Parel. As per the initial report by the fire department, the fire was sparked among the abandoned furniture and machinery kept on the rooftop. As it is an uninhabited structure, there were no injuries or casualties.
Around 1 am, fire department received a call about the fire, but when they reached, they discovered it was a minor one. At 1.27 am, they received another call when the fire had aggravated to a more serious one and eight fire engines were sent to douse it. Within ten minutes, the fire brigade brought the fire under control.
“The studio has been lying abandoned for years. No one works or resides inside. Mostly, the fire started among the discarded material on the roof. We doused it in a few minutes as the roof was easily accessible from the top of surrounding buildings,” said a senior fire officer present at the site. The electricity of the nearby buildings was cut off to avoid any case of short circuit or electrocution. However, the fire department is investigating the matter.
DISCLAIMER: mid-day and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Did Balasaheb Thackeray Try to Kill Sonu Nigam? Here's the truth!