HC unhappy as Maha drags feet on setting up complex for courts
The Bombay High Court today expressed its displeasure over Maharashtra government's "apathy" in releasing funds to the tune of about Rs 4.23 crore for setting up a complex to house courts and quarters for judicial staff in neighbouring Navi Mumbai
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today expressed its displeasure over Maharashtra government's "apathy" in releasing funds to the tune of about Rs 4.23 crore for setting up a complex to house courts and quarters for judicial staff in neighbouring Navi Mumbai.
"We have time and again passed orders asking the authorities concerned to release funds for this project but there has been a considerable delay in this regard", said Justices Abhay Oka and Anil Menon while hearing a petition filed by Navi Mumbai Advocates Association.
The Judges also remarked that apparently there was absolutely no coordination between the various organs of the state government such as Public Works Department, Law and Judiciary and Finance, as a result of which the funds were not released.
"There has been a considerable delay in executing this project as a result of which general public would have to suffer," the judges observed.
The bench also asked the state chief secretary to file an affidavit by January 30 to declare the government's stand on the issue. In November last year, the HC had directed the state government to release immediately Rs 4.23 crore which has been earmarked for the construction of a court complex in CBD Belapur in Navi Mumbai.
The Navi Mumbai Advocates Association has been demanding construction of a single complex to house various courts in the township.
Advocate Mukesh Vashi, the Association's lawyer, said the construction of this complex could not begin as the government was yet to release the money allocated for the work and urged early release of funds.