Janko Tipsarevic out of Chennai Open
Defending champion Janko Tipsarevic from Serbia has withdrawn from the ATP Chennai Open due to a rupture on the heel tendon he sustained in Valencia in October this year.
The World No 36 said in a statement that he is still to recover fully from the two-month-old injury.
The 29-year-old has been a regular at the event and is one of the tournament’s favourites.
Tipsarevic had earlier confirmed his presence at the $450,000 tournament to be held here from December 30 to January 5.
Speaking about his withdrawal, Tipsarevic said: “I have had a difficult three months after injuring my heel. I felt I would recover well in time for the Chennai Open but regret to say that I will not be able to take part in the tournament.
I apologise to fans who have always supported me and waited to watch me play during matches there. Chennai was always my favourite tournament to start the new season.”
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Masterclass with Former National champion Kamlesh Mehta