Lightman dies on the sets of TV show 'Ashoka'
A lightman died on the sets of television serial 'Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat' on Thursday night after getting an electric shock
A lightman, identified as Gautam Sangpriya, died on the sets of television serial 'Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat' on Thursday night.
The worker in question, was working on a catwalk (tarafa) when he got an electric shock resulting in death. He was taken to the hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.
This incident is yet another reminder of complete absence of safety measures adopted by the industry on their sets.
A source close to the deceased said, "He was married just 5 years ago and had his whole life ahead of him. It will not be out of place to reiterate the fact that workers are forced to work beyond 16 hours at a stretch, thereby resulting in fatigue and other ailments. They have no time for their family and children."
Film Studio Setting & Allied Mazdoor Union (FSS&AMU) has been consistently campaigning for harness belts to those working on great heights along with beseeching producers to limit the workers timing to about 12 hours a day.
That no provision has been made for basic and fundamental safety measures on sets, speaks very poorly of an industry that is claiming to become a global giant.
Gangeshwar Shrivastava, Secretary FSS&AMU, said, "If incidents like these continue to take place at ND Studio, Karjat, on a regular basis, we will be forced to ask our workers not to work there."
Abhimanyu Singh, CEO, Contiloe said, "It is really unfortunate that we lost one of our crew member last evening. Our sympathies lie with his family for this unsurmountable loss."
DISCLAIMER: mid-day and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Irrfan Khan on the sets of TV show 'Chidiya Ghar'