Man dies as bike explodes when he tries to start ignition

Mar 29, 2013, 06:43 IST | Sanika Kanekar

The fire brigade was called in to extinguish the fire caused by the blast that claimed Vipul Gada's life

Vipul Gada (42), a resident of Calcuttawala Yusuf Building, Parel, died yesterday after the carburetor of his motorcycle exploded when he tried to start it. The incident took place at around 10 am in the building compound where the bike was parked. Gada was rushed to KEM hospital by his neighbours in a critical condition.

Fire bike
The bike that exploded is in the custody of the Bhoiwada police. The bike was parked inside the compound of Calcuttawala Yusuf Building, Parel. Pic/Datta Kumbhar

Dr Harish Pathak, head of department of forensic medicine and toxicology at KEM, said, “Gada suffered severe and deep injuries around the groin and injuries to major vessels which led to his death.” He succumbed to his injuries at 12.30 pm, confirmed Dr Yashpal Jawre of the casualty department.

“Deaths due to ignitions usually occur while using four-wheelers. This is the first time I’ve heard of such a case with a two-wheeler,” added Dr Pathak. The temporary certificate of Gada’s autopsy confirmed that the cause of death was “shock and haemorrhage as a result of multiple blast injury due to bike blast”.

Gada possessed a 15-year-old Yamaha RX 100. According to Inspector Vishal Gaekwad of Bhoiwada police station, the vehicle had mechanical problems, as it was very old. The fire brigade was called in to extinguish the fire caused by the blast and the bike is in the custody of Bhoiwada police station. A chartered accountant, Gada was leaving for his office at Marine Lines when the accident occurred. He is survived by his mother, wife and two sons.

Go to top