Missing techie case reaches ears of Karnataka human rights council

Published: 21 November, 2011 06:48 IST | Sheetal Sukhija |

Reddy brothers throw weight behind Sriramulu in Bellary bypoll, plan to play the role of a kingmaker

After requesting authorities and NGOs for help in locating Anmol Gautam (25), a city-based software engineer who disappeared 37 days ago from the city, a complaint was finally lodged at the Karnataka State Human Rights Council (KSHRC).

Anmol's girlfriend Priya (name changed) filed the complaint after she and his other friends failed to find him after trying everything to locate him after he boarded a flight to Bareilli.
Anmol reportedly received a frantic call from his father on October 17 at 3.00 pm informing him that his mother was on her deathbed and that he, being the eldest son should be by her side. The techie boarded a flight for Delhi at 5.35 pm and later that night, boarded a bus to Bareilli.

The next day he phoned his roommate in Bangalore to say that he had reached his home safely. However, Anmol's relatives who visited him at 12.00 pm that day, told this reporter over the phone that he was being thrashed by his parents and held prisoner at home.

Anmol met Priya during his two-year course at the International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore in 2009. "We clicked instantly and became best friends. It was only a matter of time before we expressed our feelings to each other," Priya said.

A few months before their convocation in July, Anmol proposed marriage and Priya accepted. However, their joy was short lived as Anmol's furious parents dragged him to a hotel, thrashed him in public view and forced him to fly back home with them.

"An inter-caste marriage is against our family honour. I will never allow such a thing as long as I'm alive," said Anmol's mother Laxmi Gautam, speaking to this reporter over the phone. Laxmi further added, "Anmol is married to a girl of our choice and is right now holidaying with his wife. Priya drugged him and lured him into her trap."

Anmol's cousin Jaikrishan Gautam however had a different tale to narrate. He said, "When Anmol reached Bareilly on October 18, we went to visit him.
His parents and other members of his family thrashed him, hung him upside down with chains till he bled. He had wounds all over his body and a broken leg. We even pleaded with folded hands for them to stop."

Unable to stop the torment, Jaikrishan filed a written complaint with the local cops on Anmol's behalf.
"Soon after I did this, I started getting threatening calls from relatives who supported Anmol's parents," he said.

The relatives he claims, also filed an FIR against him alleging that he assaulted his own grandmother.
"Anmol's mother is lying and he isn't married. She had taken him and chained him in some village and when we tried to help, she assaulted us," said Sunita Gautam, Anmol's aunt.

Unable to help?
After requesting human rights activists and NGOs to fight for the cause, Priya finally lodged a complaint at the Karnataka State Human Rights Council. "The matter will be investigated if the claims are found to be true," said an official from the KSHRC.

On speaking to the Bareilly Police, the CO investigating the case claimed that law does not permit interference in family problems.

"We do not know where Anmol is and we are aware of the allegations. We will investigate as per law, but we do not interfere in family problems," said Rajkumar, CO, Bareilly Police, UP.

Anmol's employers, Intuit Technologies Services Private Limited has received a letter from his father claiming that he was sick and could not make it to work

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK