Mumbai: Doting childless aunt first kidnaps 2-yr-old niece, then surrenders to cops

Jul 10, 2017, 22:32 IST | Suraj Ojha

The child's mother had objected to aunt's love. The woman surrendered to the police with the girl; she had kept the two-and-a-half-year-old at a hotel with a relative and then stayed with her at Mahim dargah

Mayra Shaikh
Mayra Shaikh

A childless aunt kidnapped her niece whom she loved a lot, causing much distress to her family. Fortunately she surrendered to the police with the child after a few days. Interestingly, despite a 20-day investigation, the police had failed to find the girl.

On June 16, the mother of the child approached Shivaji Nagar police station at Govandi, saying Mayra Shaikh, her two and half-year-old daughter was kidnapped by her aunt.

Abida Shaikh seen leaving the hotel with Mayra Shaikh in a CCTV grab
Abida Shaikh seen leaving the hotel with Mayra Shaikh in a CCTV grab

Deputy Commissioner of Police Zone 6, Shahaji Umap, said, “Heena Shaikh (26), the mother of the kid approached us, after which we registered a case against her aunt under section 365, 363, and 34 of the Indian Penal Code.”

The incident
Abida Shaikh (54) loves Mayra a lot. But Heena did not appreciate this. They often had heated arguments over the issue at their home at Mumbra. After one such argument, Heena took Mayra along and went to her parent’s house at Shivaji Nagar. Police said Abida later went to her house, picked up Mayra, and took her to the Prince Hotel at Thane, where she kept her with a relative, Alkma Shaikh (27). She then returned to Mumbra to avoid any doubts about her.

But the police arrested her on June 17. She denied taking the child. The same day the court granted her bail on a bond of Rs 15,000. Abida then stayed at her house at Mumbra, but on June 19, she went to the hotel and asked Alkma to leave. She then took Mayra and stayed with her at Mahim Dargah till July 5. But she was unable to stay there for long due to blood pressure problems, and on July 6, took Mayra to Shivaji Nagar police and surrendered. Later Alkma also surrendered.

Missing person complaint
Interestingly, when Abida left the house on June 19 to take care of Mayra, her family had filed a missing person complaint at Mumbra police station. Police said nobody wanted to harm Mayra as everyone loved her. Abida took her, but did not think it was an offence. The family members apologised to each other and settled the matter.

Trending Videos

Watch Video: Python stopped from swallowing a whole deer


Download the new mid-day android app to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go

Go to top