Mumbai: AC compressor bursts at Thane gym, kills one
According to an eye witness, the incident occurred while a technician was repairing the centralised air conditioning system
A fire broke out at a Thane gymnasium on Tuesday afternoon, after the compressor of an air conditioning unit burst. A 27-year-old man was killed and multiple people were injured in the blast.
The establishment, named 'The Gym', is located on the first floor, near Thane's Siddhachal Club. While the fire brigade was rushed to the spot, smoke had already filled most of the building. However, the fire was contained from spreading to nearby structures. According to an eye witness, the incident occurred while a technician was repairing the centralised air conditioning system.
The gym is located right below a play school. As per the eye witness, the gym instructors promptly helped in rescuing the children from the building and carried them to safety. Meanwhile, the injured were rushed to the Thane Civil Hospital.
According to a report in the Indian Express, an officer from the Chitalsar police station was quoted as having said, "One of the AC units burst and caught fire near one of the machines on the far end of the gymnasium. We brought out four people from the premises, one of whom was declared dead by the Thane Civil Hospital."
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
One killed, one injured as truck rams into car in Mumbai