Giles Shield: Campion pacer Karan Vasa bags 8 wickets vs St Xavier's
Medium pacer Karan Vasa (8-39) bowled a phenomenal spell to help Campion School (Fort) to a seven-wicket win over St Xavier's (Fort) in their MSSA-organised Giles Shield Plate Group semi-final at Parsee Gym yesterday
Campion School’s Karan Vasa, who claimed eight wickets against St Xavier’s at Parsee Gymkhana yesterday. Pic/Binaisha M Surti
Medium pacer Karan Vasa (8-39) bowled a phenomenal spell to help Campion School (Fort) to a seven-wicket win over St Xavier's (Fort) in their MSSA-organised Giles Shield Plate Group semi-final at Parsee Gym yesterday.
St Xavier's were bowled out for a paltry 99 in 31.1 overs. Skipper Karan bowled a perfect line, thus creating pressure on his opponents.
He also took two catches off his own bowling. For St Xavier's, Mohd Ammar Qureshi top scored with 35, while Sai Deorukhkar scored 18. Xavier's did not make full use of the good batting conditions and were struggling at 89-6 in 23.1 overs as Campions were on top of their game.
In reply, Campion openers Adit Dani and Shaurya Gupta got off to a good start scoring 26 and 20 respectively. In the end, Tanay Parmar remained unbeaten on 18 while Karan was not out on 20 with four boundaries.
Campion School were the better side as they finished off with 101-3 in 21.3 overs. Off spinner Mohd Ammar Qureshi and left-arm spinner Anuj Chorge took a wicket apiece. Campion will play the final.
Antonio Da Silva’s Ved Kerkar (left) and Om Kantak
Gaurav, Jyotish shine
In another match, riding on Gaurav Dewali's unbeaten century (104), Vibgyor (Goregaon) beat St Francis D'Assisi HS (Borivli) by 123 runs at Bharat CC, Shivaji Park yesterday. Dewali's 70-ball innings included 18 fours. Captain Jyotish Chhisgani slammed 67 before coming up with a five-wicket haul with his off-spinners, which caused St Francis' 123-run defeat. Leg-spinner Dewali claimed 3-11.
Gokuldham’s Arsh Krishnater
Om, Ved turn it on
Dr Antonio Da Silva captain Om Kantak scored a century and put on 183 for the sixth wicket with Ved Kerkar (88) to help their team total 277-6 in 45 overs against St Xavier's Boys' Academy (Marine Lines). In reply, St Xavier's were dismissed for 131 in 34.5 overs with Soham Nalawade claiming 3-11. For St Xavier's, Ronak Waghe scored 42, while Rushil Kothari chipped in with 28.
Arsh slams 144
Gokuldham High School's Arsh Krishnater scored a splendid century (144) to guide his team to 312-5 in 73 overs against Shardashram Vidyamandir (English) in the Giles Shield Elite Div at Sydenham College, Oval Maidan. Vinit Vanikar chipped in with 59 not out.
Brief scores (Plate)
- St. Xavier's 99 ( Mohd. Amar Qureshi 35; Karan Vasa 8-39) lost to Campion 101-3 by 7 wickets
- Antonio Da Silva 277-6 (Om Kantak 100*, Ved Kerkar 88; Rushil Kothari 3-58) beat St Xavier's Academy 131 (Ronak Waghe 42; Soham Nalawade 3-11) by 146 runs
- Vibgyor High School 257-3 (Gaurav Dewali 104*, Jyotish Chhisgani 67) beat Saint Francis D'Assisi 134 (Jyotish Chhisgani 5-29, Gaurav Dewali 3-11) by 123 runs
- Matunga Premier School 225 (Pramod Narvekar 94, Mukul Range 3-60) beat Fatima HS 126 (Sandeep Palav 39, Ayush Singh 4-32) by 99 runs
Brief scores (elite)
- Rizvi Springfield 463-7 (Abhinav Singh 195*, Shubham Mestry 64; Sachdev Zenith 3-109) vs Gundecha Education Academy
- SVIS 363-4 decl (Rajsingh Deshmukh 116, Devkaran Parmar 62*) vs Pawar Public School 74-9 (Saksham Rawat 3-11)
- Gokuldham 312-5 (Arsh Krishnater 144, Vinit Vanikar 59*) vs Shardashram Vidyamandir English
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe