Mumbai Crime: Watchman steals gold worth Rs 4.32 lakh in Andheri; arrested
Jewellery shop owner forgets his handbag containing gold on his scooter; watchman steals the bag and hides it at a nearby building
A 47-year-old watchman has been arrested for stealing a handbag, containing 16 tolas of gold jewellery worth Rs. 4.32 lakh, which one of the residents had mistakenly left hanging on his scooter on the intervening night of April 30, 2019, and May 1, 2019, in the premises of a housing society in Andheri East.
After shutting his shop, Akash Jewellers in Meghwadi, the victim Madan Hiralal Chauhan (43), reached his building premises at around 10:30 pm on April 30, 2019, and proceeded upstairs forgetting his handbag behind on the vehicle.
The next morning, Chauhan realised that he had left his bag hanged on his scooter the previous night. He came down and searched around the premises but he did not manage to find the handbag containing the ornaments. He then went to Jogeshwari police station and registered a case under section 379 of IPC against an unknown person.
Following his complaint, the police formed a team and started to enquire the house-keeping staff and watchmen at the premises. However, the cops did not receive any leads in the case.
"After scanning the CCTV footage, we managed to receive a lead and then detained a watchman, identified as Parmanand Yadav (49). Initially, he denied his role in the robbery case, but we then showed him the entire CCTV footage, in which, he is seen carrying the handbag containing the jewellery which he had concealed at a nearby building," said the officer.
After recovering the jewellery, Yadav was placed under arrest and at present, he is in police custody.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai: TikTok user arrested for dangerous bike stunts back in 2017
- Travel agent dupes south Mumbai travellers of Rs 3.08 lakh
- Mumbai Crime: Four nabbed for illegal soil excavation in Gorai
- Mumbai crime: Within four hours of murder, cops nab 2 accused
- Shiv Sena corporator, Salman Khan discuss Being Human for BMC
- Congress leaders' discuss water issues with Mumbai civic chief
- How did you spend our money? BMC chief asks the Railways
- Mumbai: Sion flyover to be shut for one month
- Can we leave the fireflies alone, please?
- Alert Mumbai Metro staff helps commuter get back lost wallet in four hours
- Mumbai lift mishap: BDL lift has not had a licence for last 14 years
- Pune: Loud purring alerts cops to leopard cubs being smuggled
- Between the real and the abstract
- The future of Idli Manchurian
- Smita Thackeray, Maanayata Dutt, Amitabh Bachchan at an event in Andheri
- Remembering Rajiv Gandhi: Rare pictures of former Prime Minister of India
- British Royal kids Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis play in the woods
- These photos of Amruta Fadnavis enjoying the rains are romantic as ever!
- Popular Mumbai salons that Bollywood's top actresses visit
- mid day editorial: Let's start making every drop of water count
- British Royal kids George, Charlotte and Louis play in the woods
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Liquor worth Rs. 20 Lakhs destroyed ahead of panchayat polls