Mumbai: NGO donates anti-venom to help snake-bite victims at Aarey hospital
After six-year-old's death last month, because he wasn't administered the antidote on time as the hospital didn't have it, Mahavir International Andheri decides to come forward
An NGO has taken note of a six-year-old's death in Aarey Colony last month due to a snakebite - the boy died because he wasn't administered the anti-venom on time, as Aarey hospital, the first one there run by the CEO's Office, didn't have it. To that end, Mahavir International Andheri has donated five vials to the hospital, so that it can ensure timely treatment in such cases.
Mahavir International Andheri chairperson Suman Jain with the daughter of the tribal woman who died due to snakebite in July
For timely treatment
A source from Aarey hospital said, "A social worker had come a couple of days back to give us the anti-venom. Now, we can give primary treatment to snakebite victims." NGO chairperson Suman Jain told mid-day, "I read in newspapers about the unfortunate deaths in Aarey due to snakebites. I wanted to ensure that people get at least the basic treatment on time. Hence, I decided to do this." "The hospital staff and officials concerned have assured me that they will give basic treatment to snakebite victims who come there. We hope that this helps to save many lives," she added.
Jain also praised the Zero Bite initiative, which has been started by like-minded NGOs to spread awareness about the injury and to ensure that victims are taken to hospital at the earliest. "I plan to do my bit to lend support to this initiative and help tribals. I will be conducting awareness programmes in all tribal hamlets, as well as hold workshops for the kids, women and men, health check-ups, etc," she added. Members of the Zero Bite initiative also plan to give training to doctors at Aarey hospital.
The Aarey Milk Colony that is spread over 12 sqkm has 28 adivasi padas with over 8,000 tribal voters, who have been staying there for more than 100 years. Some adivasis have land records as old as 1861. And yet, several padas still lack basic facilities, like proper internal roads, electricity and toilets.
In the past
In October, a six-year-old from Vanichapada died after being bitten by a snake. His death had once again put focus on the need for a small operational hospital in the area for such cases of emergency, because, locals alleged, the existing Aarey hospital still lacked a number of essentials and was in need of an upgrade. Yashodha Kadu, 20, a resident of Jivachapada, had been a snakebite casualty in July, when one had entered her hut and bitten her when she was asleep.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai building collapse claims 5 lives