Mumbai: Stove explosion leads to fire in Chira Bazaar bldg
A fire broke out in the densely populated Chira Bazaar area in Girgaum late last night after a kerosene stove exploded in Mithaiwala building
A fire broke out in the densely populated Chira Bazaar area in Girgaum late last night after a kerosene stove exploded in Mithaiwala building. The stove explosion was followed by a cylinder explosion, which fuelled the blaze.
Eight fire engines were rushed to the spot and firemen were able to bring the flames under control in 45 minutes. Pic/Bipin Kokate
The fire was put out in 45 minutes and the fire brigade did not report any injuries. The incident took place at the four-storey building in the Gaiwadi area on Vighas Street. Sources said the fire had started around 10.15 pm, while fire officials confirmed that they received the call around 10.31 pm.
Residents told this paper that the fire started from an illegal dwelling on the terrace of the building, where a few labourers were cooking on a kerosene stove. When the stove exploded, the labourers made a run for their lives.
“As soon as they came out, another cylinder explosion followed. This caused the fire to spread further. The impact was such that the entire roof came crashing down,” said one of the eyewitnesses.
Fire officials said the fire — listed as a priority two blaze — was attended to by eight fire engines and eight tankers, all sent from nearby fire brigade centres. The fire control room said no injuries had been reported, but one of the fire officials at the spot said that 4-5 people, including a woman, had sustained injuries.
Chief fire officer PS Rahangdale told mid-day, “I am overseeing the operation at the spot. The situation is under control now.”
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Bigg Boss fame Ajaz Khan arrested for sharing controversial TikTok video