No bandh for Varsity exams

Jun 01, 2012, 07:41 IST | Kranti Vibhute

First and Third year Engineering students, who had papers scheduled yesterday, ventured out of their homes hours in advance, in order to make it to their centres in time

Students of Mumbai University with exams scheduled yesterday had to brave deserted streets and the threat of bandh violence on their way to their centres. First and third year engineering exams were held as per schedule. Commuting to their centres posed a problem, and most examinees ventured out early, only to reach their centres hours before their exams were scheduled to begin. Worried parents and concerned friends accompanied them.

15,000 first year students wrote their exams in the 11 am-2 pm slot, while another 10,000 third year students appeared for exams in the afternoon slot between 3 pm and 5 pm. The exams proceeded without disruptions at all 60 engineering colleges spread over Mumbai, Thane, Raigad and Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg.

Mumbai University had instructed all the colleges to allow examinees to appear for their exams even if they reached late, and also offer them extra time. Vinod Malale, public relation officer of the varsity, said, “The engineering exams were conducted smoothly everywhere. Students reached their centres early, by 7 am and 8 am. But the university issued instructions to examiners to allow students to come in late and also enjoy some extra time to complete their papers if they did so.”

Dr G T Thampi, principal of Thadomal Shahani Engineering College, said, “There were no latecomers, and in fact students reached much before the scheduled time. However, the varsity should have postponed the scheduled exams and rescheduled it later.”

Along with six of my classmates, I took a train at 11 pm on Wednesday and reached Bhoisar at midnight. We spent the night at my friend’s place. I had my exam at 3 pm today, but didn’t want to take any risks.

— Sandeep Kamble, Third year, Computer Engineering, Andheri

I have my exam at 3 pm, but reached my centre an hour-and-a-half early to avoid reaching late. My family members were worried and urged me to leave early so that I could reach safely. Thankfully the train services were smooth.
— Alok Nerurkar, Third year, Computer Engineering, Mahalaxmi

I walked to the railway station from my home, as no autos or taxis were in sight. The train services were not affected, so I was able to reach the centre on time. I left early because I didn’t want to get caught in any violence.
— Karan Patel, Third year, Biomedical Engineering, Borivli 

Go to top