SC rejects Yakub Memon's plea to stall execution
In a reiteration of its earlier order passed on Wednesday, the Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a last ditch attempt by 1993 Mumbai blast convict Yakub Memon to stall his execution by 14 days
Following an unprecedented middle of the night hearing, the Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed Yakub Memon's last ditch plea seeking a stay on his execution.
Yakub Memon will be hanged at the Nagpur Central Jail at 6.30 a.m today, said advocate Ajay Aagarwal who was present in the court room.
A three-member bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra and comprising Justices Prafulla C Pant and Amitava Roy heard Yakub Memon's plea against his execution.
"We don't think in a case of this nature, granting further time is necessary," said Justice Dipak Misra.
He had stated that the execution warrant was communicated to Yakub Memon on July 13, 2015 and ample opportunity was given to him to present his case.
"Petitioner Yakub Memon never disowned the mercy petition filed by his brother. Review petition for Yakub Memon was heard for 10 days when the law mandates that only half hour has to be given," he added.
While Yakub Memon's lawyer Anand Grover said the former must get 14 days to challenge rejection of mercy plea by the President, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi had stated that if mercy petitions are filed over and over again, death warrants will never be executed.
President Pranab Mukherjee had earlier rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea.
The Supreme Court had also rejected his petition on his death warrant.
The apex court had earlier also dismissed the curative petition of Yakub, saying proper procedure was followed in disposing of Yakub's curative petition.