Three children get locked in vehicle, suffocate to death

Apr 26, 2013, 07:37 IST | A Correspondent

Two siblings and their friend were playing near a godown in Thane on Wednesday; accidentally got locked inside a goods carrier parked outside

Three children from Kalher Village in Thane died of suffocation on Wednesday afternoon after they got locked inside a private mid-sized goods carrier parked near a godown.The deceased have been identified as Dilip Maji (7), Ruby Maji (5) and Raj Soni (6). Of the three deceased, two are siblings and children of small time contract labourers.

Family worried
On Wednesday afternoon, the deceased were playing near their house. When the children did not return home in the evening, family members got worried and rushed to the police station to register a missing person complaint. The officials lodged a complaint at around 10-11 pm and soon a police team from the Narpoli police station set out to look for the kids.

Locals quizzed
Upon reaching the Kalher village, the police began questioning the locals. A resident from the area informed the police officials that he had seen the kids playing near the godown in the afternoon. One of the police officials pointed out that there were many mid-sized goods carriers that were parked on the road near the godown and they should look inside them. When the police began checking the vehicles, they found the three children in an unconscious state. The police soon realised that the three had died of suffocation and their bodies were sent to Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital in Bhiwandi for postmortem.

Speaking to MiD DAY, V S Sanap police inspector (crime) from Narpoli police station said, “When we reached the godown near the village, we saw that many mid-sized goods carriers were parked along the road side. When we started the search operation we found the bodies of three children in one of the vehicles. The children must have entered the vehicle while playing and as they couldn’t open the door, they were locked in. The post mortem report mentioned suffocation as the cause of death.” 

Go to top