Top male BBC presenters take salary cuts in gender pay row

Updated: Jan 28, 2018, 10:15 IST | Agencies

The BBC reported yesterday that six of its highest-paid male broadcasters have agreed to take pay cuts after revelations of a gender divide in salaries

The BBC said it was 'very grateful' to the presenters for agreeing to reduce their salaries. Pic/AFP
The BBC said it was 'very grateful' to the presenters for agreeing to reduce their salaries. Pic/AFP

The BBC reported yesterday that six of its highest-paid male broadcasters have agreed to take pay cuts after revelations of a gender divide in salaries. The BBC said in a statement that the public service broadcaster was "very grateful" to Huw Edwards, Nicky Campbell, John Humphrys, Jon Sopel, Nick Robinson, and Jeremy Vine for agreeing to reduce their salaries.

"These are great journalists and presenters, who have a real connection with the audience. We are proud to have them working at the BBC," the broadcaster said. Details of the voluntary salary cuts were not announced. The BBC was embarrassed last year when a list of top earners showed that two-thirds of the best-paid workers were men. Many men were also found to be receiving much larger salaries than women in comparable jobs.

The BBC's China editor, Carrie Gracie, quit this month to protest what she called a failure to address the pay gap. Gracie did not appear on the list of BBC staff members earning at least $214,000 a year. Humphrys, 74, a popular host of the influential Radio 4 news programme, said the wage cut was his idea. "I've been at the BBC for an awfully long time and I've been paid very well and I'm not exactly on the breadline," he said.

6
No. of presenters who have agreed to salary cuts

Catch up on all the latest Mumbai, National and International news here

Download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go

Trending Video

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

Subscribe
Loading...

No more trees to be axed in Aarey until October 21, says Supreme Court

NEXT STORY
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK