Trigger-happy cop shoots two, arrested

Sep 26, 2011, 07:40 IST | Anurag Jadli

The head constable was held for shooting a businessman dead and then injuring a youth helping police in chasing him

The head constable was held for shooting a businessman dead and then injuring a youth helping police in chasing him

A Delhi police head constable allegedly shot dead a businessman and later fired at, and critically injured, a youth who was helping another policeman in chasing him, on Saturday.

Grieving: Relatives of Amarjeet Singh Chaddha

According to police, the incident took place at around 9 pm at Lahori Gate in north Delhi. The deceased has been identified as Amarjeet Chaddha, who was a businessman, dealing in dry fruits. "The accused has been identified as head constable Ajay Tomar. After the incident, Tomar tried to flee from the spot and got injured when he jumped from a flyover," a police official said. 

Who was shot dead at Lahori gate, in New Delhi, on Sunday.
Pics/Subhash Barolia

In the line of fire
A passer-by, Harinder Singh (Sunny), who tried to help the police catch Tomar, was also shot in the neck. He is battling for his life at St. Stephen's hospital. According to police, a car approached a constable deployed at Lahori Gate. The deceased, Chaddha, and his employee Mohit were in the car. Chaddha, who had a bullet wound, told the constable that a policeman opened fire at  him.

'Dirty cop'
The constable immediately sought help of Singh, who was on a motorcycle, and chased the attacker. But Tomar opened fire on them as well and the bullet hit Singh's neck. "Tomar was inducted into Delhi police in 1995 and is posted in 7th Battalion at present. After the incident, he jumped from the bridge to flee but got injured. He was apprehended and taken to a hospital. Two illegal pistols and gold chains were recovered from his possession while 17 live cartridges were seized from his home," said IB Rani, DCP (north). She added, "Police are investigating whether it was a case of extortion or robbery. We are yet to record statements of Tomar and Singh as both are in critical condition."

Helping a man may cost him his life
The family of 24-year-old Harinder Singh (Sunny),resident of Krishan Ganj area, was under trauma when they heard about the incident. He has been battling for life for the last 24 hours.  According to Ajay, eyewitness and Sunny's friend, when the incident took place, no one bothered to take him to the hospital.

Harinder Singh

"I, along with another friend, immediately rushed him to the hospital. I'm proud of him as he helped the police without caring for his life," Ajay said. Another friend who was with Sunny said, "At around 9 pm we came from our shop and found the a man lying in a pool of blood and we also saw a man, wearing a police uniform and carrying a pistol, fleeing from the spot. Sunny, who was riding alone, helped policemen chase the attacker. When they came close to the attacker, he fired at them and jumped from the bridge. We then rushed him to the hospital."

Go to top