Whistleblower doctor was marked for a kill

Published: 30 October, 2012 07:36 IST | Kainaz Choksey |

One day after he was found in an unconscious state, doctor, who was supposed to lead dharna against malpractices at Noor hospital, has alleged his ex-colleague hired goons to murder him

A former doctor from Noor Hospital, who was found unconscious at Zam Zam guesthouse in Dongri on Sunday, has alleged that one of the doctors from the same hospital had asked local goons to shut him up for good, and make it look like a suicide.

From the jaws of death: 31-year-old Dr Fayzan Khan is currently recuperating at JJ hospital

The victim, Dr Fayzan Khan (31), yesterday said that since he was supposed to hold an agitation at Azad Maidan in protest against rampant malpractices at the hospital, Dr Taufique Khan had given instructions to a local goon to make Fayzan accept a sum of Rs 15 lakh to keep mum, instead of exposing the doctors.

Since Fayzan did not yield in to their proposition, he alleges they tried to kill him and make it look like a suicide. According to Fayzan, the goons came to his room in the wee hours of Sunday extending an olive branch after they were involved in a scuffle the previous day.

 “Three people entered my room at around 2 am. After exchanging pleasantries, they spiked my cold drink. I was semiconscious, since I was under the influence of a poisonous substance that was mixed in my drink. While I was sitting on the bed, two of them held my hands from behind, so that I could not retaliate. They then tried to strangle my neck with a bed sheet. Later, they tried to hang me to the fan on the ceiling. When I regained my senses at 5 pm on Sunday, I found myself lying in a bed at the JJ hospital,” said Fayzan.

Sordid tale
According to Fayzan, on Thursday, he was asked by members of a local gang to telephone their leader, who operates from the Chor Bazaar area. Fayzan refused to speak to him over the phone. The next day, he was asked to meet the gang leader outside a restaurant. At the meeting, the leader threatened that he should call off his dharna else they would kill him. The goon along with 7 to 8 gang members then assaulted Fayzan, and while defending himself, Fayzan attacked the goon. In the ensuing scuffle, the miscreants managed to get hold of his phone, and took his battery away.

Fayzan filed a complaint with the JJ Marg police station stating that he was threatened. But, according to Fayzan, the complaint fell on deaf ears, and he was attacked in his room, the very next day. Shashikant Surve, senior inspector at JJ Marg police station, said, “A non-cognisable offence was registered only against Fayzan’s phone battery being taken away. No complaint has been filed against him for being attacked by anyone.” 

The other side
When contacted, Dr Taufique Khan refuted the allegations. “I don’t know anything about it. I am not authorised to speak to the media.” Despite repeated attempts other hospital authorities were unavailable for comment.

The incident
Fayzan was found in an unconscious state at Zam Zam guesthouse, following which he was rushed to the JJ hospital. Based on prima facie evidence, the doctors and the police who attended to him claimed that he had tried to commit suicide. The doctors tending to Fayzan stated that he had consumed poison and also that there were strangulation marks around his neck.

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK