4-year-old boy burnt in Aug 17 electrical blast succumbs to injuries
A four-year-old boy, Piyush Walunj, who had sustained burns after a minor electrical explosion following a short circuit near a five-storey building at Thergaon in Pimpri-Chinchwad on August 17, succumbed to his injuries in a hospital in the city yesterday.
The boy had touched a loose high-tension wire, causing the short circuit and the blast. The entire police force, including the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad, had rushed to spot after the explosion that took place a few days after the serial bomb blasts on JM Road.
Piyush was climbing the staircase of the four-storey building when he touched the high-tension wire that was hanging loose, following which there was a loud explosion.
Having sustained grievous burn injuries, Piyush was rushed to hospital, where he was undergoing treatment. After the blast, the Hinjewadi police had arrested the engineer concerned, Gurudeo Kataria (41), for negligence. Investigations had revealed that Kataria had disconnected the wire and kept it hanging.