Young cancer patient commits suicide at Tata Memorial hospital in Mumbai

Oct 10, 2013, 20:52 IST | Anuradha Varanasi

A 20-year-old cancer patient allegedly committed suicide inside the Tata Memorial hospital premises.

The young boy’s life came to an abrupt end on Wednesday night at Tata Memorial Hospital in Parel. 

The 20-year-old boy allegedly committed suicide in the hospital toilet and was found hanging from a towel by police constables from Bhoiwada police station.

The incident took place at around 10.30 pm when Deepak Roy, a Bangladesh national, locked himself in the bathroom for nearly an hour. When Roy’s uncle repeatedly banged the bathroom door and did not receive any response, he alerted the police.

On breaking open the bathroom door, the 20-year-old was found dead.

Roy had arrived in the city alone on October 1, to undergo treatment at the cancer hospital. “He was suffering from blood cancer and had to travel all the way for his treatment. As he is from a poor background, his parents could not accompany him but a relative from West Bengal was with him in the hospital at the time,” said a doctor from the civic-run KEM hospital where the post mortem was conducted.

He was declared dead and shifted to KEM where his post mortem was conducted on Thursday morning. A case of accidental death was registered in Bhoiwada police station.

“Though his relative, Rinku Rai, was present while the panchnama was going on, his body is yet to be claimed from the hospital by a relative. We were informed that his last rites will mostly be conducted in Bangladesh,” added the doctor. The cause of death was stated as asphyxiation.

On the condition of anonymity, a sub-inspector from Bhoiwada police station said that Roy had been depressed since he arrived in the city for his treatment. “Due to his economic background, he was having a tough time sustaining financially in the city and was depressed. We are guessing this is why he took such an extreme step,” he said.

Go to top