The 62-year-old was rescued from bathroom, but declared brought dead at Sion hospital
Firefighters attempt to douse the blaze at the godown in Dharavi
An elderly woman died after a fire broke out in a garment godown in Dharavi on Wednesday.
The blaze was reported around 11.45 am on the ground floor of two adjacent two-storey structures at Ashok Mill Compound opposite Sai hospital on 90 Feet Road. The flames were finally doused at 3 pm.
The woman, Usha Londhe, 62, was rescued by firefighters from a bathroom and rushed to the civic-run Sion hospital. However, she was declared brought dead by the chief medical officer of the hospital.
Also Read: Mumbai: BMC to lose Rs 1,000 crore from property tax every year
The fire, which the fire brigade has classified as a level-one blaze, was confined to electric wiring, machinery and clothes.
A Mumbai Fire Brigade official said, “The woman was the owner of the godown and had gone to the bathroom on the ground floor when some garments caught fire. Four labourers were at work on the first floor and they came running down after the fire broke out. People tried to douse the flames but they were unaware that the woman was inside.”