19 February,2026 09:10 AM IST | Mumbai | Agencies
Representational Image
The Bombay High Court pulled up naval authorities on Wednesday, asking if officials had been "sleeping" while a 23-story high-rise began to come up near INS Shikra, the Navy's premier air station in South Mumbai.
The rebuke came as a bench of Justices Ravindra Ghuge and Abhay Mantri heard a petition filed by the Commanding Officer of INS Shikra.
The Navy is seeking to halt the project, citing significant security risks to the sensitive military installation.
"Were you sleeping all this time," the court said, asking why the construction - which according to the Navy began in 2021 - was allowed in the first place.
On Monday, the court had temporarily halted the construction activity citing urgent security concerns ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to the city.
On Wednesday, advocate R V Govilkar, representing the Navy, said construction up to 53.07 metres was permitted in the area. The bench said while it was aware of the security concerns, it could pass an interim order allowing construction up to this height, and posted the matter for further hearing on Friday.
This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever