Mumbai: Fire breaks out in Sion Koliwada building

31 January,2023 06:22 AM IST |  Mumbai  |  A Correspondent

None hurt; blaze was doused in an hour despite non-functioning firefighting system

The fire was confined to a flat in Om Shiv Shakti Housing Society. Pics/Ashish Raje

A minor fire broke out on the seventh floor of a building on MA Road in Sion Koliwada around 12.30 pm on Monday. Though the firefighting system of the building, Om Shiv Shakti Housing Society, was not functional, no one was injured and the flames were doused in an hour.

Ravi Raja, a former local corporator, said, "The building was constructed under the Slum Rehabilitation Authority scheme six to seven years ago. Fire officials said a short circuit was to blame. The fire station is nearby. They attended to the situation immediately and a major crisis was averted." Four fire engines and a water tanker were pressed into service. The fire was declared a level-one or minor blaze.

Also Read: Dreams Mall fire: *Mall must satisfy conditions to get NOC*

A senior fire official told mid-day, "The fire was within our reach. The fire was confined to one room in which there was a fridge and washing machine. No one was at home. The cotton mattress and pillows caught fire, which created smog. The flames were brought under control within five to 10 minutes."

mumbai mumbai news sion maharashtra brihanmumbai municipal corporation
Related Stories