Mumbai: Rocket from baarat guts home in Malad high-rise

20 February,2024 06:40 AM IST |  Mumbai  |  Shirish Vaktania

Luckily, occupants were not at home when incident happened; whole bedroom burnt, with damage to electronics

The flat in the aftermath of the blaze

A firecracker lit during a wedding procession caused a residential apartment in Malad East to go up in flames on Sunday evening. According to the police, the blaze broke out on the eighth-floor flat after a rocket landed inside a bedroom.

The fire spread via clothes that were hanging in the balcony. Significant damage was done to the bedroom, balcony, an air conditioner and furniture. The residents of the flat were not at home at the time of the incident and thankfully, the fire brigade managed to extinguish the fire before it could spread further.

Flames engulf the eighth-storey flat in Tower-28 in Malad East on Sunday evening

The Dindoshi police have recorded statements and initiated an investigation into the incident. Pradeep Chaudhary, 64, the owner of flat number 802, located in the B-wing of Tower-28, where the blaze broke out around 9 pm, claimed that the fire safety system of the society was not working at the time of the incident.

The developer of Tower-28 had also constructed an SRA society adjacent to the building but both share a common entrance. The wedding function took place at the SRA society. Relatives had prepared firecrackers to celebrate and began lighting them upon arriving near Tower-28, resulting in the fire breaking out.

Chaudhary said, "The firecracker landed on my balcony where clothes were drying. Children playing in the area noticed the blaze and alerted the authorities. Videos of the incident were shared on our WhatsApp group."

A fireworks box at the scene of the mishap; (Right) flames engulf the eight-storey flat in Tower-28 in Malad East on Sunday eveningPradeep Chaudhary, owner of flat

"My wife and I were out shopping when I received a call informing me of the fire. I instructed the fire brigade to break open my door and extinguish the fire. Upon reaching the society, I opened the flat, and, with assistance from neighbours and the fire brigade, managed to douse the fire. Although a fire safety system was installed by the builder, it was not functional during the incident. The fire was contained promptly by the firefighters before it could spread," Chaudhary said.

The air conditioner inside of the flat that was gutted in the blaze

Common entrance

He added, "The builder developed the SRA society and Tower-28 but failed to provide separate entry and exit lanes for each. During Diwali, a similar incident took place and we raised complaints, highlighting the need for a separate route. It is the builder's responsibility to establish separate entrances."

Pradeep Chaudhary, owner of flat

Chaudhary, a retired MTNL employee, lives with his wife, son and daughter-in-law. Since the young couple were out of town on a holiday, the duo left the home on Sunday evening for shopping followed by dinner. Senior Inspector Irfan Shaikh of the Dindoshi police station told mid-day, "We have recorded statements and are investigating the matter, though no FIR has been registered yet. Action will be taken after the investigation is completed."

Feb 18
Day fire incident occurred

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
dindoshi mumbai police malad Mumbai Fire Brigade mumbai news mumbai
Related Stories