Son's death no accident, says call centre employee's father

Published: 06 December, 2012 07:02 IST | Saurabh Vaktania |

22-yr-old who told parents on Saturday night he was partying with office friends, turned up dead next morning; boy's dad suspects foul play and seeks detailed police investigation

A Saturday night out with friends that proved fatal for a 22-year-old call centre employee from Charkop has left the victim’s parents grasping at straws, as they firmly believe that their son’s death may not be the result of a motorbike accident as suggested. Unhappy with what they are currently being told by the police and their son’s friends, they are requesting a detailed investigation into the case.

Pawan Poojari was working at an international call centre near his home in Kandivli for the past year.

Pawan Poojari
Facts unclear: A friend of Pawan Poojari called up his father and told him that Pawan had crashed his bike into a tree. The father later found that neither did the bike have any dents nor were his son’s clothes torn

On Saturday night he informed his father Parmeshwar Poojari that he would be late, as he was at a party with office friends. Parmeshwar got a call from Pawan’s mobile number early next morning, but it was a friend of his son informing him that there had been an accident and Pawan had sustained injuries to his legs and hands and was admitted at a private hospital in Bhayander.

Upon reaching the hospital, Parmeshwar was shocked to see his son lying on a hospital gurney dead.

According to the Bhayander police, the group of friends were riding back after a party at a Dhaba in Bhayander, when Pawan rammed into a tree and died on the spot due to excessive blood loss from head injuries. Pawan’s parents refuse to believe this, as their son’s new motorcycle does not have a scratch and neither is there any damage to his clothing. Family members also claim that on examination of Pawan’s mobile phone, they found that the recent calls list had been deleted and several numbers had been erased from the contact list.

Parmeshwar said, “I called Pawan at 11 pm and he said he was at a party and would be coming late. There was also loud music in the background. At 5 am on Sunday I got call from Pawan’s mobile phone and his friend informed me to rush to Thunga Hospital in Bhayander, as Pawan had sustained severe injuries to his legs and hands. I immediately reached there and was shocked to see my son lying on a bed and blood oozing from his ears.”

“His motorcycle does not have a scratch on it. His clothes are not torn or soiled and his mobile phone has not sustained any damage either, except for the missing call details and deleted contacts. I don’t believe he died in an accident.”

No clues
Parmeshwar added that it just did not add up as even after repeatedly questioning all his son’s friends, they were unable to tell him what exactly happened.

Senior police Inspector Sunil Wadke from the Bhayander police station said, “All the friends were returning from a party at a dhaba in Bhayander and most of them were drunk. Pawan was riding his own bike when he rammed into a tree and sustained severe head injuries. He was rushed to a private hospital where he was declared dead. We have taken down statements from his friends and will investigate further. We are awaiting the post-mortem report from Bhagwati Hospital.”  

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK