The online admission process will be conducted for children from economically weaker and disadvantaged sections seeking entry into self-financed and unaided schools (excluding minority institutions)
Parents can fill out online applications from February 17 to March 10, 2026. Representational Pic
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on Monday announced that the 25 per cent admission process under the Right to Education (RTE) Act for the academic year 2026-27 will commence from Tuesday.
The online RTE admission 2026 process will be conducted for children from economically weaker and disadvantaged sections seeking entry into self-financed and unaided schools (excluding minority institutions).
Under the RTE Act, selected students will receive free education up to Class 8.
According to the BMC’s education department, a total of 5,939 seats are available across 323 schools in Mumbai. Of these, 4,558 seats are in 252 schools affiliated to the Maharashtra State Board, while 1,381 seats are available in 71 schools affiliated to other boards.
Parents can fill out online applications from February 17 to March 10, 2026, on the official portal https://student.maharashtra.gov.in
The admission process will cover entry-level classes such as pre-primary and Class 1.
Officials said parents must upload all required documents while submitting the online application. Schools located within a one-kilometre radius of the applicant’s residence will be visible on the RTE portal.
Parents are advised to carefully select up to 10 schools while filling out the form. Authorities clarified that students who have already secured admission under the RTE 25 per cent quota in previous years will not be eligible to apply again.
After completion of the application process, a date will be announced for the online lottery system. Parents have also been instructed to keep original and attested copies of all submitted documents ready at the time of admission, the BMC said.
Maharashtra approves 'Free School Bag' scheme for classes 1 to 8
The Maharashtra government last week approved a major scheme to provide free school bags to students studying in Classes 1 to 8 in local authority schools across the state.
The decision follows the implementation of the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009, which has been in force since April 1, 2010. The law guarantees free and quality education to every child between the ages of 6 and 14.
The scheme also aligns with the goals of the National Education Policy 2020, which aims to create a joyful and supportive learning environment and develop well-rounded individuals equipped with 21st-century skills.
Under the new government resolution, administrative approval has been granted to provide free school bags within a financial limit of Rs 165 crore.
The benefit will cover a total of 4,143,054 students enrolled in Classes 1 to 8 in schools run by local self-government bodies across Maharashtra.
However, students studying in municipal corporations that already run their own free school bag schemes using their own funds will not be included in this state-funded programme.
Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!



