23 May,2026 11:10 AM IST | Mumbai | Asif Rizvi
File Photo. Pic/PTI
Mumbai Police on Saturday denied a viral social media post claiming that 13 people were killed in police action during the Garib Nagar demolition drive earlier this week.
Police have registered a case against the social media user linked to the viral post, along with a video, for allegedly spreading false and misleading information, an official said.
According to officials, a post shared on social media platform X contained "false and baseless information" about the demolition drive in Mumbai's Bandra East area.
Police officials stated that the content was allegedly circulated with the intention of disturbing public peace, spreading fear among citizens, and creating tension between two communities.
They further stated that the accused allegedly used the social media platform to spread misinformation that could damage communal harmony and affect law and order.
The social media post reportedly claimed that 13 people were killed and several others were injured during police action amid the demolition drive in the Garib Nagar area of Bandra East.
Along with the post, the user also shared a video of a police lathi-charge to disperse the crowd.
Earlier, officials had said that during the demolition drive, a group of around 100-150 people gathered near the demolition site and began pelting stones, following which the police resorted to a mild lathi-charge to disperse the crowd and maintain law and order.
Officials said that a criminal case has been registered at the Cyber Police Station, West Region, Bandra, Mumbai, under various sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS).
The case has been filed against the X account holder as well as the individual who recorded the related video, and further investigation is underway.
Mumbai Police also appealed to citizens to use social media platforms responsibly and avoid sharing or forwarding unverified information.
Officials warned that spreading false or inflammatory content online is a punishable offence under the law and may invite legal action if it affects public order or hurts religious sentiments.
Police urged people to exercise caution while posting online and ensure that no misleading or sensitive material is circulated through social media or other communication platforms.