20 May,2026 01:24 PM IST | Mumbai | mid-day online correspondent
Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde. File Pic
Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Tuesday praised Union Home Minister Amit Shah for the Centre's ongoing efforts to eliminate Naxalism across the country, saying the campaign was showing positive results in regions such as Gadchiroli in Maharashtra, reported ANI.
Speaking to reporters in Mumbai, Shinde said incidents linked to Naxal activities had reduced significantly and claimed that increased employment and livelihood opportunities were helping bring normalcy to affected areas, reported ANI.
"Home Minister Amit Shah has taken up the task of making the nation Naxal-free, and he is achieving success in it," Shinde said, reported ANI.
"In Maharashtra too, Naxal activities have reduced in areas like Gadchiroli. People are getting employment and livelihood opportunities, and Naxalism is gradually being eradicated," he added.
Shinde specifically referred to Gadchiroli, a district historically affected by Left-wing extremism, and said the situation had improved because of coordinated action by security forces and development initiatives, reported ANI.
"Naxal-free Gadchiroli is becoming a reality. That is why I thank Home Minister Amit Shah," Shinde said while reiterating support for the Centre's anti-Naxal campaign.
The Maharashtra government has in recent years focused on improving infrastructure, road connectivity, employment opportunities and welfare schemes in Gadchiroli and neighbouring tribal regions alongside intensified anti-Naxal operations.
Earlier, Amit Shah addressed a press conference in Chhattisgarh and said that making the country Naxal-free was only the first step, adding that the larger goal was to transform Bastar into a developed region by 2031, reported ANI.
"In 2031, when Bastar becomes fully developed, the world will see that it was Naxalism that had hindered its progress," Shah said.
The Union Home Minister stated that anti-Naxal operations were intensified soon after the BJP government came to power in Chhattisgarh on December 13, 2023, reported ANI.
According to Shah, after a meeting of state Directors General of Police in August 2024, the Centre had announced a target of making the country free from Naxalism by March 31.
Shah said nearly 200 security camps had been established across seven districts of Bastar as part of anti-Naxal operations carried out by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
He announced that in the first phase, 70 of these camps would be converted into "Veer Shaheed Gundadhur Seva Deras" aimed at improving access to government welfare schemes and public services in tribal areas.
According to Shah, these centres will help deliver facilities and services directly to tribal communities in remote areas that were earlier affected by insurgency and lack of connectivity.
The initiative is expected to focus on expanding access to healthcare, education, welfare schemes and administrative services in Bastar.
The Centre has repeatedly maintained that its strategy against Naxalism combines security operations with long-term development initiatives in affected regions.
(With inputs from ANI)