Garib Nagar demolition: Western Railway says 100 per cent illegal structures removed in Bandra anti-encroachment drive

22 May,2026 04:02 PM IST |  Mumbai  |  mid-day online correspondent

Speaking on the operation, Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer (CPRO) Vineet Abhishek said the authorities had completed the removal of all encroachments marked for demolition

Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer (CPRO) Vineet Abhishek. Pic/ X


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

Western Railway on Friday said it had removed all illegal structures identified during the ongoing anti-encroachment drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East, as demolition work entered its fourth day.

Speaking on the operation, Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer (CPRO) Vineet Abhishek said the authorities had completed the removal of all encroachments marked for demolition.

"We have removed 100 per cent of the illegal structures. However, as per the Bombay High Court order, 100 structures have to be protected," he said.

Upper floors of protected structures being dismantled

Abhishek clarified that while the ground floors of the protected structures would remain intact, the upper portions, considered unsafe, were being manually dismantled by railway staff.

"The structures above are very unsafe, so they are being dismantled carefully without disturbing the lower portions," he stated.

According to Western Railway, residents were initially given the option to remove the upper portions themselves, but authorities later decided to carry out the process independently.

Officials said nearly 50 per cent of the dismantling work on the upper floors had been completed and the remaining work is expected to finish by Saturday.

Debris clearance and fencing work underway

Western Railway further said debris removal operations were progressing rapidly, especially near the Bandra Terminus area.

"About 50 per cent of the debris on the northern side near Bandra Terminus has already been cleared. We are expediting the work as we want the area cleared at the earliest," Abhishek said.

Authorities also announced that barricading and fencing work at the site would begin from Saturday.

More illegal structures demolished near Bandra Terminus

Western Railway added that two more illegal structures located in the circulating area of Bandra Terminus were demolished on Thursday as part of the continuing anti-encroachment operation.

The Garib Nagar demolition drive had earlier witnessed violent clashes between residents and police personnel, leading to tensions in the area.

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
western railway Bandra Railways indian railways mumbai mumbai news maharashtra news
Related Stories