20 May,2026 12:21 AM IST | Mumbai | mid-day online correspondent
A massive demolition drive began on Tuesday based on the directives issued by the Bombay High Court. Pic/Sameer Abedi
Several residents of Garib Nagar in Mumbai's Bandra area expressed distress and uncertainty as demolition activities continued in the locality.
Mid-day spoke with Garib Nagar residents who are directly affected by the demolition.
A local stated, "I have been living here since decades, I have grown old in this locality now I am seeing this day. I am being displaced."
Speaking to mid-day residents shared their painful ordeal of being affected with the massive demolition drive. They showed emotional scenes, speaking about the difficulties faced by families who fear losing their homes and belongings.
Some Garib Nagar residents claimed they had been living in the area for several years and were worried about their future after the demolition exercise.
"There are school and college going residents here, along with us their future is also at stake," an another resident told mid-day.
Local residents said the demolition has disrupted daily life, affecting children, elderly people and workers living in the settlement.
A massive demolition drive began on Tuesday based on the directives issued by the Bombay High Court.
Western Railway authorities launched the operation to clear unauthorised structures from railway land as part of a major infrastructure expansion and redevelopment project. Officials said the drive will continue over the next four days.
Visuals from the site showed heavy police deployment, demolition machinery, and debris removal operations as teams continued clearing structures in the densely populated settlement area.
Residents of Garib Nagar near Bandra East railway station expressed anger, helplessness and betrayal on Tuesday as a large-scale demolition drive continued in the slum area adjoining railway land.
Several residents alleged they were either not given prior notice or were left uncertain about rehabilitation despite living in the locality for decades.
"Today if Sunil Dutt was here, no one would have been able to touch or move us from here," one resident said during the operation, adding that he has been living in Garib Nagar since 1981.
Another resident claimed that no notice was received before the demolition began and questioned the lack of surveys before the action.