The two students were identified as Phijam Hemjit, 20, and Hijam Linthoingambi, 17, seen here in an earlier picture. Pic/Twitter; (right) women form a human chain during a demonstration demanding justice for the killing of the two students. Pic/PTI
Hours after photos of the bodies of two students, who had been missing since July, went viral on social media, the Manipur government has asked people to exercise restraint and allow authorities to investigate the "kidnapping and killing" of the duo.
In a statement issued by the secretariat of Chief Minister N Biren Singh late on Monday night, the state government said the case has already been handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Two students were identified as Phijam Hemjit, 20, and Hijam Linthoingambi, 17.
"The state police, in collaboration with the central security agencies, are actively investigating the case to determine the circumstances surrounding their disappearance and to identify the perpetrators who murdered the two students. The security forces have also started the search operation to nab the perpetrators," the statement said.
Indian Navy Day 2023: Indian Navy's commitment to maritime security
Parliament Winter Session: I-N-D-I-A bloc parliamentary leaders to meet Kharge
Maharashtra: Fake journalist held for extorting Rs 20,000 from Nagpur cafe owner
Nagpur man, wife dead, daughter seriously injured as truck hits motorcycle
Telangana: KCR accepts defeat, submits his resignation to Governor
Security personnel have been put on alert, and additional measures taken to prevent any incident following the viral of photos of the students, a senior officer said. The government assured people that "swift and decisive action will be taken against all those involved in the kidnapping and killing of Phijam Hemjit and Hijam Linthoingambi", the statement said.
The government is committed to ensuring justice and will impose severe punishment on any perpetrator found responsible for the heinous crime, it said. The administration urged people to "exercise restraint and to let the authorities handle the investigation". Two photos of the missing students surfaced on social media on Monday. One of the two photos purportedly showed the students with two armed men in the frame and the other one was of two bodies.
The two students went missing on July 6. The police had previously said that the whereabouts of the two were not known and their mobile phones were found switched off. The last location of their handsets was traced at Lamdan near the winter flower tourist spot in the Churachandpur district, they had said earlier.
This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever