Friends coaxed man to kill 'unfaithful' wife

Published: Dec 03, 2013, 06:23 IST | Saurabh Vaktania |

In his statement to Crime Branch, the accused said his friends instigated him to exact revenge on her after he found a video on her cell phone showing her having group sex

A 25-year-old man arrested by the Crime Branch for murdering his wife revealed to the cops that he committed the crime after he found a clip on her cell phone showing her having group sex. The accused said in his statement that when he narrated the incident to some of his friends, they goaded him to kill her and helped him in the murder.

MiD DAY had first reported the incident on Sunday (‘Cops nab man who killed wife’). The accused Santosh Rajput alias Bachcha, with provocation from three of his friends, murdered his 23-year-old wife Divya and dumped her body at Malshej Ghat in Thane district, cops said. The police have detained his friends but have not arrested them yet. The couple has a four-month-old boy who is being taken care of by Divya’s family in Vashi. The Thane district police, Crime Branch officials and other police staff, along with all the accused, looked for her remains in the ghats but failed to find anything. The search operation is still under way.

According to sources within the Branch, after Rajput married Divya, she came to know of his criminal background and tried to get separated. She went to her parents’ house in Vashi, and then to Gwalior. But he brought her back to his flat in Nallasopara. In August, they decided to visit a temple in Titwala.

On the way there, Rajput got hold of Divya’s mobile and found video clips of her having sex with some men. The sources said that initially Rajput was hesitant to kill her and wept bitterly inside the car, but the friends who were accompanying him told him they had to murder her for vendetta, since she was “characterless”. Incited, he stabbed her with their help and took her body to Malshej Ghat and dumped it there. After the Crime Branch Unit X (MIDC unit) arrested him on Friday evening from a mall near Sakinaka, Rajput broke down and confessed to the murder.

Meanwhile, Divya’s parents, who fully relied on her for a living, approached the Vashi police and filed a ‘missing’ complaint. They were later sent to the Bandra police station, after the body of an unknown woman was found there. The Crime Branch had, by this time, nabbed Rajput with a pistol and few live cartridges. He has been remanded in police custody till December 4. He has several cases of dacoity and robbery registered against him since the time he was a minor. 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK