Indian Navy carries out submarine rescue trial off the East coast
The Navy said that the entire evolution was done by the Indian crew and marked the culmination of the training phase on the East Coast
On June 5, 2019, the Indian Navy has tested a Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) and transferred personnel underwater from a submarine. The "live mating" exercise between DSRV and Kilo-class submarine INS Sindhuraj which was simulating as a distressed vessel was carried out on June 2 off the East coast.
The personnel were transferred from Sindhuraj to DSRV underwater and brought safely to the surface. The transfer of personnel from the depth of the ocean is a new skill acquired by the Indian Navy. It will help it in dealing with submarine emergencies.
The Navy said that the entire evolution was done by the Indian crew and marked the culmination of the training phase on the East Coast. The submarine hatches on which the mating was carried out has been certified by the Indian Navy Submarine Designer.
This is also a skill that has been newly acquired by the Indian Navy which aims to place itself as major submarine rescue provider in the Indian Ocean Region. The Indian Navy inducted it's first DSRV in 2018. The DSRV mates with bottomed submarine after which hatches are opened to transfer personnel.
Navy described the live mating exercise as a historic achievement towards DSRV integration into the Indian Navy and would pave the way for the Indian Navy to emerge as a submarine rescue provider in the (Indian Ocean Region) IOR.
The Navy has witnessed several submarine accidents including the loss of Sindhurakshak in August 2013 in which 17 personnel lost their lives after an explosion.
Top stories of the day
- Producer, composer held for molesting model at house party in Malad
- Mumbai Crime: Former businessman partner slits man's throat, kills him
- 'He forcibly kissed me on my face, neck before I pushed him off'
- The Dutch mystery: Cops camping in Pune in hunt for Avdhut Shinde
- 'Nair, Topiwala left students vulnerable to harassment'
- Mumbai: INTACH joins fight to save Esplanade
- HC directs MHADA to evacuate and barricade Esplanade Mansion
- 'The Rajghat of Mumbai'
- Vikhe Patil to join BJP, many Congress MLAs likely follow suit
- I will continue to write, says IAS officer Nidhi Chaudhari
- MHT-CET exam: Two top with 100 percentile
- Katrina Kaif on Bharat: It's the best role of my career
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas displays her perfect pins on the red carpet
- Kareena Kapoor: We celebrated women who broke stereotypes
- Sunny Leone to play a lawyer in spy thriller Helen
- Janhvi Kapoor, Anjana Sukhani, Pooja Hegde sweat it out at gym in Bandra
- Iulia Vantur, Shanaya Kapoor, Kriti Sanon, Taapsee Pannu clicked in Bandra
- Super 30 trailer: Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan, Tiger Shroff laud Hrithik Roshan
- Madhuri Dixit wants to learn a new Kathak form
- Ayushmann Khurrana on IPS Manoj Malviya: He became the prototype of my character
- Deepika Padukone wraps up the shooting of Chhapaak
- Sabyasachi pens down the journey of his friendship with Deepika Padukone
- Rangita Pritish Nandy on Four More Shots Please: May explore friendship, or just one character
- Sushmita Singh: Miss teen 2019 who was told that she was not beautiful
- These old pictures of Salman Khan will take you back in time
- World Environment Day: 9 ways humans are harming the environment
- CR fails in Mumbai-Pune in 2 hr 35 min train trials as problems galore
- World Cup 2019: Rabada calls Kohli 'immature', Virat says he will discuss 'man to man'
- World Cup 2019: It's advantage Virat Kohli and Co against South Africa!
- World Cup 2019: 'Asli' WC begins today as India take on South Africa
- World Cup 2019: Virat Kohli's Team India faces first Test vs South Africa
- World Cup 2019: Vijay Shankar could get nod against South Africa
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe