Pragya Singh Thakur calls Nathuram Godse 'patriot'
Pragya Thakur said this in response to a question over actor-turned politician Kamal Haasan's remarks that free India's first terrorist was a Hindu", a reference to Nathuram Godse
BJP's Bhopal Lok Sabha seat candidate and Malegaon blast accused Pragya Singh Thakur on Thursday kicked up a row as she called Mahatma Gandhi's assassin a "patriot". The Madhya Pradesh BJP, however, distanced itself from her statement saying it did not agree with her as Mahatma
Gandhi's killer cannot be a patriot. Talking to a news channel here, Thakur said, "Nathuram Godse was a deshbhakt (patriot), he is and will remain a deshbhakt. Those calling him a terrorist should instead look at themselves. They will be given a befitting reply in this election."
Pragya Thakur said this in response to a question over actor-turned politician Kamal Haasan's remarks that free India's first terrorist was a Hindu", a reference to Nathuram Godse. Pragya Singh was in Agar Malwa for a road-show for Mahendra Solanki, BJP candidate from Dewas Lok Sabha seat. Netizens on the social media platform reacted to Pragya Singh Thakur statement where she called Nathuram Godse a patriot.
Godse a desh-bhakt says Pragya Thakur, a candidate chosen by BJP to represent the great city of Bhopal. We jump around with outrage when a Pitroda/Aiyar speak loosely , but isn’t this remark of someone who hopes to be in LS an absolute shocker? à¤¹à¥à¤à¤ à¥à¤ à¤ªà¥ à¤°à¤¾à¤® à¤¬à¤à¤¼à¤² à¤®à¥à¤ Nathuram!— Citizen/à¤¨à¤¾à¤à¤°à¤¿à¤/Dost Rajdeep (@sardesairajdeep) May 16, 2019
So as now #SadhviPragya is praising #Godse as a patriotic which means in next 5 years we will see godse as a hero in books and #MahatmaGandhi as a terrorist. So this is what our next generation is going to read and learn. Great #Shameless— Puneet sharma (@PuneetRadhika) May 16, 2019
Pragya the Nathuram Godse Bhakt fought on BJP ticket. Modi & Shah selected #sadhvipragya.— Dr Luttapi (@Mayavi101) May 16, 2019
Anyone who supports Terrorist Godse does not deserve a place in Gandhiji’s India.
We live in a time where terror accused #PragyaSinghThakur gets away with insulting martyr Hemant Karkare & calling #NathuramGodse a Deshbhakt, but a common man gets arrested for expressing his opinion about her on social media.— Shama Mohamed (@drshamamohd) May 16, 2019
BJP spokesperson G V L Narasimha Rao said in a statement."We completely disagree with her statement with regard to Mahatma Gandhi. We strongly condemn this statement. The party will seek clarification from her as to why she gave this. It would be proper for her to seek and tender a public apology for her objectionable statement."
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Aditya Pancholi claims he was threatened with a rape case, submits video
- Mumbai: Kids show how to sort out Vile Parle's traffic woes
- Mumbai: BPO firm asked to pay Rs 2.62 crore or face recovery proceedings
- Mumbai: Narrow approach stalls Jogeshwari project
- Pune: Honest janitor returns mangalsutra worth Rs 2 lakh
- Deven Bharti is new ATS chief, Maharashtra
- Mumbai: HC refuses to vacate stay on BMC's Tree Authority
- Medicine shortage: BMC blacklists rogue supplier
- Dadar's Chitra Cinema to shut down; SOTY 2 to be its last day last show
- Nick Barnes: Power to humiliate has increased dramatically
- Action should follow new BMC chief's promises
- Ramona Narang: The transformation of high society's once wild child
- Aranya Johar: The 20-year-old poet who is taking the internet by storm
- A walk through Mohammed Ali Road's Khau Galli
- Interesting facts about the Holy Month of Ramzan
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Amrita Rao and Environmentalist Chinu Kwatra collect broken Ganesha idols