Dr. Santosh Datar from Ziqitza Healthcare Limited says,”Health is defined as a “State of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely absence of disease or infirmity” by World Health Organization(W.H.O.).
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don’t want, drink what you don’t like, and do what you’d rather not. - Mark Twain
This quote by the one of the greatest humourist writers though sounds funny, aptly applies to the bad health practice choices made by many of the youth Millennials in India. While some are health conscious, others are not so because either they do not care or find it difficult to adopt healthy practices due to current life situations.
Dimensions of Health
Dr. Santosh Datar from Ziqitza Healthcare Limited says,”Health is defined as a “State of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely absence of disease or infirmity” by World Health Organization(W.H.O.). Just because somebody does not have any symptoms does not mean she/he healthy. The health status is influenced by various factors such as genetics, well-being of mother during pregnancy, nutrition, care during growing years, exposure to infections, environment, family cultures, exposure to occupational hazards at workplace, mental framework, good or bad habits and many more. The most neglected aspect is mental health. Physical and mental health two sides of the same coin and cannot be separated.
What ails today’s Youth Millennials?
Doctor’s team at Ziqitza observes that many young people in the age group of 25-40 are falling prey to the deadly cardio-vascular and life style diseases. Falling sick at such young age is detrimental not only to the individual but also to family members, organization they are working for and society and nation in general.
There are various factors which are responsible for this extremely worrying trend. They include lack of sleep, lack of exercise, eating junk food, childhood obesity, carelessness, rebellious attitude, stress at workplace, not maintaining work-life balance, and many more.
Adverse Health Effects of Unhealthy life Style
The unhealthy life style leads to various diseases such as obesity, metabolic syndrome, arteriosclerosis (deposition of fat in arteries), high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, mental depression, certain cancers, lowering of immunity, liver cirrhosis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Many of these diseases have their own complications e.g., diabetes and high blood pressure damage the kidneys and eyes. All these diseases are closely interlinked. Continuous use of earphones also leads to deafness. Surge in similar cases were observed at Ziqitza Rajasthan.
Prevention of Lifestyle Diseases among Youth Millennials
For today’s younger generation, solution to healthy living and healthy heart is disciplined lifestyle and not blindly mimicking western lifestyle. Dr. Santosh Datar from Ziqitza Limited comments thatInvesting in your health early in life will pay rich dividends in adult life. Those who want to improve will do so and those who do not, will give many excuses. Healthy and disciplined Lifestyle include the following: -
- Take adequate sleep for at least 8 hours (Extremely important)
- Water is the best natural and healthy drink. Drink adequate quantity of water throughout the day to stay hydrated especially in summer when your outdoors.
- Eat a well-balanced, nutritious, healthy and timely diet.
- Indian diet consisting of roti, vegetables, rice, dal, green leafy vegetables, curds or buttermilk, fruits and salads is a healthy diet.
- Eat more of green leafy vegetables and salads
- Include 1-2 fruits daily in the diet
- Avoid all junk food such as biscuits, fruit juices, noodles, cakes, pastries, cookies, packed snack items, cold/energy drinks, pizzas, burgers, fast food items, donuts, deep fried items, items containing refined sugar, processed red meat etc.
- Reduction in weight if overweight or obese
- Blood sugar and blood pressure levels should be in control
- Be physical active and do household chores
- Exercise regularly e.g., a daily brisk walk for 30 minutes a day. However, before starting any exercise regime, consult your doctor
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, tobacco or any harmful addictive substance.
- Practise yoga and meditation as per expert’s advice
- Spend less time on electronic gadgets and more time with your near and dear ones
- Seek help of experts such as counsellors or psychiatrists if there are any mental health issues or stress symptoms.
It has been seen that people with co-morbidities have more serious complications due to COVID-19 and other infections. It is important to stay fit, maintain your weight, keep blood pressure and blood sugar under control and enhance immunity by all above measures. Similar thoughts were voicedby Ziqitza limited Rajasthan.
Speaking about the importance of Tele-Health especially for employees who are doing remote working, Mr. Nandadeep Pandharkar – Sr. Vice President, Ziqitza Healthcare Ltd said, “Virtual care has been crucial for screening and treating COVID-19 cases from afar, but it’s also facilitating routine visits that would be risky or complicated during quarantine. A variety of telehealth tools are available to help manage your health care and receive the services you need. Our goals by means of telehealth is to -Make health care accessible to people living anywhere & at any time especially for the active millennial workforce and their families. Provide access to medical specialists and support for self-management of health care.“
About Ziqitza Healthcare Limited
Ziqitza Health Care Limited (ZHL) has been one of the leading players in India’s Emergency Medical Services industry since 2005. ZHL Rajasthan also have appreciated the Tele-Health services to provide quality healthcare services to people as per their convenience in this pandemic situation. Ziqitza is a “one-stop integrated healthcare solution” for corporate or government that include Integrated Emergency Services and Corporate Health Solutions. The service network includes 3,300 ambulances, state of art Helpline centres and medical mobile units that services 2 customers every second in India. We work with multiple state governments and 75 corporate clients in India and Gulf. Ziqitza is winner of Global Real impact Awards and Times Social Impact Award.
For further information please contact: email@example.com