×

Subcribe to Mid-day Gold with just Rs. 899 /Year

Home > Mumbai > Mumbai News > Article > Dont stab Mumbai in heart says former CM Thackeray urges new govt not to build metro car shed in Aarey

Don't stab Mumbai in heart, says former CM Thackeray, urges new govt not to build metro car shed in Aarey

Updated on: 01 July,2022 09:29 PM IST  |  Mumbai
mid-day online correspondent |

His reaction comes after Eknath Shinde government decided to go ahead with the controversial Aarey Colony car shed project

Don't stab Mumbai in heart, says former CM Thackeray, urges new govt not to build metro car shed in Aarey

Uddhav Thackeray. File pic


Former Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray on Friday made an appeal to the Eknath Shinde-led government in the state not to go ahead with its plan of building a Metro car shed in Aarey Colony area of Mumbai.


After taking oath as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra, the Eknath Shinde government decided to go ahead with the controversial Aarey Colony car shed project.



Talking to reporters at the Shiv Sena headquarters two days after he stepped down as CM, Thackeray said if the car shed was built in Kanjur area, as proposed by his government, then Mumbai Metro can be taken further to distant suburbs of Ambernath and Badlapur.


Also read: Maha political crisis LIVE Updates: Metro-3 car shed should be made on land proposed by SC, says Fadnavis

"I am very upset. If you are angry with me, then vent out your anger, but don't stab Mumbai in the heart. I am very upset that the Aarey decision has been overturned. This is not a personal property," Thackeray said.

After coming to power in 2019, Thackeray decided to scrap the decision of the previous Devendra Fadnavis government to build car shed in Aarey Colony, a forested area adjoining the Sanjay Gandhi National Park.

On Friday, Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra said, "Mumbai metro line 3 cannot be started until the car shed is prepared. Land proposed by previous govt for the car shed is disputed. During our govt, 25 per cent of work has been completed on the land proposed by SC and remaining 75 per cent work can be done immediately.

Register for FREE
to continue reading !

This is not a paywall.
However, your registration helps us understand your preferences better and enables us to provide insightful and credible journalism for all our readers.

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK