21 May,2026 09:45 AM IST | Mumbai | mid-day online correspondent
The operation involves three gas-cutting squads. Pic via special arrangement
The demolition drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East entered its third day on Thursday, with Western Railway (WR) intensifying clearance and security operations at the site following large-scale demolitions earlier this week.
The drive had sparked protests from residents, some of whom approached the Supreme Court seeking relief. However, the apex court dismissed the petition on the same day, allowing the demolition operation to continue.
Late-night clearance work was also underway at the site, with WR's Permanent Way team engaged in removing debris.
The operation involves three gas-cutting squads from Andheri, Dadar and Borivali, along with 24 trackmen from Andheri, Dadar, Borivali and Bhayander.
Officials said gas cutters are being used to remove steel channels and iron angles embedded in the debris to speed up the rubble-clearance process.
Permanent Way Inspector S.B. Singh from Andheri is supervising the operation on the ground.
Meanwhile, WR said the demolition is being carried out primarily within the railway safety zone adjoining active tracks, where unauthorised settlements pose serious risks to both human life and train operations.
According to railway officials, the stretch is operationally critical for enhancing rail capacity on one of the country's busiest corridors.
They said the removal of encroachments is necessary for railway safety, operational flexibility, and future infrastructure expansion, including the introduction of additional long-distance train services.
The railway administration further stated that railway land, particularly in safety-sensitive operational areas, cannot remain encroached upon indefinitely and that the action is being undertaken in accordance with legal provisions and court directions.
Officials added that the operation is being jointly carried out by the civil administration, police, and railway security agencies to ensure law and order and the humane execution of the drive.
As the anti-encroachment drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East crossed the 3,000 sq m mark on Wednesday afternoon, tensions escalated in the area with hundreds of residents protesting and attempting to enter the restricted demolition site.
The situation later turned chaotic, forcing police personnel to carry out lathi-charges at multiple locations to disperse the crowd.
Shortly after, at 5.20 pm, stones were pelted for several minutes before the Riot Control Police charged at those responsible. The mob started pelting stones at the demolition site where police personnel, railway staff, and journalists were present.
Subsequently, a team of Riot Control Police in additional safety gear led another lathi-charge towards the area where stone pelters were present. A few individuals were detained, while the majority dispersed inside the lanes of Behram Nagar.
(With inputs from Rajendra Aklekar)