BJP, MNS workers clash in Thane over mango stalls; two arrested
The hawkers associated with the MNS had set up mango stalls on footpaths in the locality, a move which was opposed by BJP workers on the ground they were blocking the movement of pedestrians
Thane: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) clashed in Thane over the issue of mango stalls set up by hawkers on footpaths, police said on Friday. The police have arrested two persons and resorted to cane charge to bring the situation under control. The clash happened in the Naupada on late Thursday night.
The hawkers associated with the MNS had set up mango stalls on footpaths in the locality, a move which was opposed by BJP workers on the ground they were blocking the movement of pedestrians. Personnel from the anti-encroachment department of the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) arrived at the scene to remove the stalls but faced stiff resistance from MNS activists. The issue triggered a clash between local BJP and MNS workers resulting in police wielding canes to disperse them.
During the altercation, Bharatiya Janata Party and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena workers raised slogans against each other's leaders. The police have registered an offense under the Bombay Police Act and arrested two persons, they said. The police said that the situation in the area is peaceful.
The incident comes in the backdrop of MNS chief Raj Thackeray holding several rallies during the Lok Sabha elections in the state and attacking the BJP and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Top News Stories of The Day
- Mumbai: Engineer caught stealing laptops from girls' hostel in Dindoshi
- Mahim abduction case: 'Drunk Samaritan' says he gave child juice, chips
- Museum, lift vendor blame each other after freak mishap kills dentist
- Mumbai Crime: Man loses Rs 1 lakh on digital wallet platform
- Western Railway, IIT-B on track to avoid water-logging mess this year
- Mumbai: RPF has 'code band' plan in case of monsoon tragedies
- Chembur woman wins RTI battle against Mumbai cops
- CSMT bridge collapse: 709-page charge sheet only against auditor
- Future of silk town Mubarakpur in tatters
- Mumbai: 270 Government Law College students at risk of losing a year
- Open spaces can't be sacrificed for development
- Woman tries to throw slipper at Navjot Sidhu; Twitter has mixed reactions
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
WB polls: 3 injured in clash between TMC, CPI (M) and BJP workers