Ekta Kapoor: Prohibiting content creates a bigger want
Ekta Kapoor talks about censoring online content and the effects it may have
Should content on digital platforms be regulated? It is the question of the hour. On February 8, 2019, the Delhi High Court had dismissed the petition to censor content from platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, ALTBalaji, and Hotstar. However, after several PILs (by NGO Justice for Rights) mounting up, the Supreme Court has asked the Centre to look into framing certain guidelines that content providers can adhere to.
While leading Online Curated Content Providers (OCCP) like Netflix, Hotstar, SonyLiv, ALTBalaji, Voot, Arre has imposed a self-regulatory process to censor content, Ekta Kapoor, at the launch of her new telly shows – Kawach Mahashivratri and Bepanah Pyaarr - says that "prohibition will create a bigger want" if content on digital platforms is regulated.
She defends the content on her app and says, "Anything I put out there is open to criticism. One day it's too regressive and on another, the complaint is that there's too much sex. This is a sad situation. The day you curb an audience from a natural need [to watch what they want], it will only create more need."
Kapoor says that sex is not the problem is if the actor playing the role and the viewer watching it has consented to it. "I think sex is a natural need. And people consuming it have given their consent. The person who is acting has consensually agreed to have people watch them and the viewer is watching because he wants to. It is a two-way street. When anything is a one-way street, even in a marriage, it's a crime."
When asked if there is a ruling that creates a censor board for OTT platforms, will she be for or against it? Kapoor says, that she will follow the law. "What can we do if they do decide to monitor content? Who are we to take a stand? They will take a stand and we'll follow, but my beliefs are very clear, I feel any prohibition in societies will cause a bigger need for it. It's human psychology."
Top entertainment stories of the day:
- Aishwarya Rai to play antagonist in Mani Ratnam's period drama
- Dadar's Chitra Cinema to shut down; SOTY 2 to be its last day last show
- Cannes 2019: Hina Khan's red carpet debut looks ethereal
- Kangana Ranaut's incredible transformation from Kabaddi to Cannes
- Ekta Kapoor: Prohibiting content creates a bigger want
- Malaika Arora shares workout video; Amrita Arora calls her 'show off'
- Student Of The Year 2 day 5: The film fails to touch the 50 crore mark
- From cabaret to belly dance, Richa Chadha has come a long way
- Mira Rajput hires Taimur Ali Khan's nanny for son Zain Kapoor? Watch Video
- See Photos: Jr NTR's doppelganger storms the Internet
Why Ekta Kapoor wanted only Rajkummar Rao to play Bose's role?