Smriti Irani, Pramod Sawant to visit villages adopted by Manohar Parrikar in Amethi
Manohar Parrikar had adopted these villages under the National Democratic Alliance government's 'village adoption programme'
New Delhi: Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani along with Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant will visit the villages in Amethi on Saturday that were adopted by late former Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar. Parrikar had adopted these villages under the National Democratic Alliance government's 'village adoption programme'.
Irani and Sawant will also meet the family of Surendra Singh, the former village head of Barauli and a close aide of Irani, who was shot dead in May 2019 while he was asleep at his residence.
Smriti Irani, the Amethi MP was visibly distraught on seeing Singh's body. She had also lent a shoulder to his mortal remains during the last rites. Some of the deceased's relatives had indicated that his murder could be a fallout of a political rivalry, including the recently concluded general elections in which Irani trounced Congress president Rahul Gandhi.
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from ANI
Top News Stories of the Day
- Mumbai: Thanks to Titwala man, MP Manoj Kotak raises local train delays in Lok Sabha
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Why can't cops clearly explain sequence, asks Payal Tadvi's husband
- Yemeni couple comes to India to save child with rare disorder; in trouble to go back home
- Chopped pieces of dead body wrapped in plastic bag found in Palghar
- See Photos: Shloka Mehta really knows how to pull off the no-makeup look!
- MMRDA to demolish Bandra East Skywalk passing over Western Express Highway on Saturday night
- Famous celebs who got married at the age of 40 and above
- Mumbai rains flashback: When Mumbaikars were all smiles during monsoons
- Mumbai: Mantralaya water makes employees sick, officials deny contamination
- Leopard cubs rescued from drowning in a well in Sangamner
- Mumbai Diary: Saturday Dossier
- See Photos: Army dogs, horses beat police troops at asanas on International Yoga Day
- Eight times when Nita Ambani showed how to slay the traditional look
- Mumbai crime: Bank officials foil ATM skimming gang's fraud bid
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Amethi still distant from development: Smriti Irani