Teen holds Instagram poll to live or die, commits suicide after 69 percent choose death
The police in the east Malaysia state Sarawak said that the unnamed girl posted the poll on the photo on Instagram with the message, "Really Important, Help Me Choose D/L". After most responders voted for 'death', she killed herself.
In a shocking incident, a 16-year-old girl committed suicide in Malaysia, after posting a poll on her Instagram account asking followers if she should die or not. She took the extreme step after 69 percent of responders voted that she should opt for death. The incident has sent shockwaves on the social media.
The police in the East Malaysia state Sarawak said that the unnamed girl posted the poll on the photo on Instagram with the message, "Really Important, Help Me Choose D/L". After most responders voted for 'death', she killed herself.
Legal experts questioned whether those who encouraged her suicide could be held responsible for the death. Lawyer Ramkarpal Singh told the Guardian, "Would the girl still be alive today if the majority of netizens on her Instagram account discouraged her from taking her own life? Would she have heeded the advice of netizens to seek professional help had they done so?"
The girl reportedly jumped to death from the third floor of a shop. Police said the girl was apparently suffering from depression and had posted a message on Facebook which said: 'Wanna quit f**king life I'm tired.
Malaysian politicians are demanding an investigation, with the youth minister saying on record that he is genuinely worried about the state of youth's mental health in the country.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Aditya Pancholi claims he was threatened with a rape case, submits video
- Mumbai: Kids show how to sort out Vile Parle's traffic woes
- Mumbai: BPO firm asked to pay Rs 2.62 crore or face recovery proceedings
- Mumbai: Narrow approach stalls Jogeshwari project
- Pune: Honest janitor returns mangalsutra worth Rs 2 lakh
- Deven Bharti is new ATS chief, Maharashtra
- Mumbai: HC refuses to vacate stay on BMC's Tree Authority
- Medicine shortage: BMC blacklists rogue supplier
- Dadar's Chitra Cinema to shut down; SOTY 2 to be its last day last show
- Nick Barnes: Power to humiliate has increased dramatically
- Action should follow new BMC chief's promises
- Ramona Narang: The transformation of high society's once wild child
- Aranya Johar: The 20-year-old poet who is taking the internet by storm
- A walk through Mohammed Ali Road's Khau Galli
- Interesting facts about the Holy Month of Ramzan
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe