A six-year-old was fatally electrocuted while another was injured after coming into contact with a lamp post in Vakola, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said on Saturday.
The incident took place around 11.46 pm on Friday.
According to a hospital statement, the six-year-old was declared dead at the hospital while the 5-year-old's condition was said to be stable.
Thane Municipal Corporation celebrates its 41st anniversary
Mumbai: Lake levels in seven reservoirs that supply water to city at 99.18 pc
Partly cloudy sky with possibility of moderate rainfall likely in city today
Mumbai: Fire breaks out in industrial estate building in Dahisar
Good news! No water cut for Mumbai till next monsoon
The children were electrocuted after coming into contact with a lamp post and were rushed to VN Desai hospital in Mumbai where one of them was declared brought dead, informed the police, reported ANI.
Meanwhile, the police on Friday found an unidentified woman's headless body stuffed in a suitcase on a beach in Maharashtra's Thane district.
The body of a woman, aged around 25 years, was found in a suitcase on the beach at Pali in Uttan area of Mira-Bhayandar in the morning, senior inspector Shauraj Ranavare of Uttan police station told PTI.
Passersby spotted the body and alerted the police, following which it was sent for post-mortem, he said.
The woman was clothed in a t-shirt and had religious symbols tattooed on her right arm, the official said.
The police have registered a case of accidental death for now and efforts are underway to establish the woman's identity, it was stated.
(With inputs from ANI and PTI)