Election results 2019: Rahul Gandhi concedes defeat in Amethi, congratulates Smriti Irani
Rahul Gandhi congratulated Smriti Irani on her historic win in Amethi even as the Election Commission continued to update the margin by 44,082 votes
Congress President Rahul Gandhi who was trailing behind BJP candidate and Union Minister Smriti Irani has now conceded defeat and congratulated Smriti Irani on historic win in Amethi. Earlier in the day, Congress president Rahul Gandhi was trailing at Amethi as Smriti Irani lead the trends by 19 thousand votes. As per the latest updates, Rahul Gandhi is trailing by 44,082 votes.
#SmritiIrani has won from #Amethi and I congratulate her, says #Congress President #RahulGandhi#LokSabhaElection2019 #Dangal2019 #IndianElections2019 #GeneralElection2019 #LokSabhaElectionResults #ElectionResults2019 #Verdict2019 #BJP pic.twitter.com/6ko2R2eBcL— IANS Tweets (@ians_india) May 23, 2019
Earlier in the day, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi met Congress chief Rahul Gandhi at his residence as the trends showed that the party was doing badly in the Lok Sabha polls.
Sonia Gandhi was at the 12 Tuglak Lane residence of her son for almost an hour. Rahul Gandhi's sister and party General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra had visited him earlier in the day.
The 2019 Lok Sabha Elections is the first election fought by the Congress party with Rahul Gandhi as party President. During his campaign, Rahul had repeatedly said that the opposition will oust the Modi government. Rahul Gandhi was elected Congress chief in December 2017 at the culmination of party's organisational elections. Sonia Gandhi had helmed the Congress for almost 19 years of which the party led a government at the Centre with its allies for 10 years.
Top Election Results 2019 stories
- Election Results 2019: Modi wave across India as BJP supporters rejoice
- Lok Sabha election results 2019: As Smriti Irani wins in Amethi, meet her cutest supporter
- Inside Photos: Uddhav, Aaditya Thackeray with Devendra Fadnavis at Matoshree in Bandra
- Election Results 2019: Shiv Sena supporters celebrate with laddoos at Sena Bhavan in Dadar
- Lok Sabha Election results 2019: Hema Malini congratulates 'architect' Narendra Modi on Twitter
- Arnab Goswami accidentally refers to Sunny Deol as 'Sunny Leone'; Netizens go crazy
- Lok Sabha Election results 2019: BJP-Sena combine leads in 44 seats, NCP in 3 in Maharashtra
- Lok Sabha Election Results 2019: Smriti Irani leads Rahul Gandhi; twitter goes berserk!
- Lok Sabha Election Results 2019: Sunny Deol's 'dhai kilo ka haath' too much for Sunil Jakhar
- Lok Sabha Election results 2019: Narendra Modi congratulates Naveen Patnaik for retaining Odisha
- Election 2019: Urmila Matondkar files complaint with EC alleging mismatch in signatures on EVM form
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
50-year-old Rahul Gandhi calls himself a 'youth': Smriti Irani